Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Connecting a new tv to existing U-verse dvr

Tutor

Connecting a new tv to existing U-verse dvr

First timer.  Old tv dead and gone.  What is power up sequence of tv, ext audio, and U-verse DVR.  Is it HDMI connect to tv & dvr, audio connect to dvr, plug in tv, plug in dvr, power on tv, power on dvr?   the ext audio is to send audio to hearing aids, connecting both with optical on tv and dvr.  Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by doctorcb
‎09-03-2019 7:16 PM

Re: Connecting a new tv to existing U-verse dvr

Gateway is ethernet connected to dvr's network port.   DVR hdmi connected to tv (usually).   Any additional audio devices connect to the tv but I think the optical out on the dvr might also work.  Maybe even the audio out RCA jacks as well.  Less sure about those though.

Boot gateway first (plug it in) and always leave it on.  Next dvr.  Tv doesn't matter since it just shows what the dvr is feeding it (make sure the tv's input is selecting the hdmi port you are using on it).  The reset is up to you.  That stuff can be on or off at any time.  It obviously isn't going to receive any signal until dvr and/or tv are ready.

Note in order for the att remote to control on/off and volume of both the dvr and the tv (and maybe another audio device) you need to program it. Read the att remote's user manual on how to do that.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Tutor

Re: Connecting a new tv to existing U-verse dvr

Thank you for your help. Got 2 TV's set up easily with your instructions.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support