Explore & discover

Helpful Links

COAX to Ethernet

Tutor

COAX to Ethernet

Currently I have a STB connected via COAX to the AT&T Router.  I would like to free-up that COAX for use with OTA Antenna and an FM Antenna.  Is there a way I can connect the STB via Ethernet to the AT&T Router and thus freeing up my COAX?

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: COAX to Ethernet

You connect a OTA antenna directly to your TV, not your ATT equipment.  You should have a F connector in the back of your TV.  Connect your antenna (the RG6 coax attached to it) to the TV's F connector and switch your TV input to take input from it via your remote (or maybe a menu on your TV).

Remember, the first time you connect remember to do a scan so the TV knows the available OTA channels.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

This is not the issue.  I know how to connect COAX from a terrestrial antenna to a TV or AVR, the issue is switching my AT&T STB from COAX to Ethernet to free-up the COAX so I can use it for OTA (NOT going through the AT&T GW).

Message 3 of 10
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by MrMike1
‎03-29-2017 6:21 AM

Yes, after running an Ethernet cable between the receiver and gateway....

Unplug all receivers from power.

Need to factory reset the gateway (press and hold reset button for about 20 seconds), resetting to DEFAULT (loss any custom settings such as SSID, password, port forwarding, etc).

After the gateway has been reset, plug in the DVR wait 5 minutes then plug in each receiver....

This builds a new list in the gateway of receivers and how connected to ensure the DVR functions will work on all receivers.

Alternative, order a wireless receiver (one time charge of $49) and return the hardwired receiver. No need to run an Ethernet cable providing the wireless receiver is within range of the WAP.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 10
Tutor

I am liking the last option.  Is there any other charges\fees for the wireless receiver?  I order the wireless receiver and WAP, pay $49, return the hardwired receiver and nothing else?  Same monthly charge I am paying now?

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

Same charges. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

The wireless receiver would be about 20ft from the WAP.  The WAP is in a closet and the receiver would be in a cabinet.

Message 7 of 10
Employee

The WAP needs to plug into one of the four yellow Ethernet ports on gateway....

Hopefully you have a free port.

If all ports are being used you will need to purchase a switch to expand the ports available.

Recommend the Netgear GS105.

Your monthly billing for services stays the same as your not adding ($10) a receiver but exchanging a receiver.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 10
Professor

Is the hard wired receiver you would return be the main one with the dvr in it?
Message 9 of 10
Tutor

No.  Not the DVR, just a receiver.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support