justin.gordon25's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 5:38 PM

AUX code for Klipsch Icon SB-1

I'm trying to avoid investing in a true universal remote (Logitech or other). Is there a program code to control a Klipsch Icon SB-1 soundbar through AUX mode?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justin.gordon25 - I have been very skeptical about the TV and sound bar having the same code because they are supposed to be in different ranges for the exact reason that you are experiencing. So, I guess I have to accept that it really is the same.

It is not a problem that the TV comes up "first". That would be like finding a code that only partially supports the device. You overcome it by ignoring it and keep going to find a better one.

Do you mean - while searching you find a code that affects both the TV and the sound bar? That is like having two TVs the same or two STBs to watch different shows. It cannot be done with IR because because both devices see the same signal & respond the same. That is your original problem??

For TV & soundbar, If the TV speakers off does not turn on in response to a Vol up/down (like a mute would) and the Soundbar only responds when it is on, the same IR can work.

I believe you originally said the TV generates an error message that you do not want. You cannot stop it with a program for the TV/soundbar.

The 955 program does NOT unprogram the TV/aux. It breaks the connection to the att mode. By default vol up/down sends TV IR ALWAYS. The 933 program I gave you changes that to send IR based on current mode. To send TV IR press the TV mode button. In your case, it would also work when pressing the aux mode.

This does work -

att/ok - 955-enter
In att mode set the vol to 15
In TV mode set the TV or SB (based on which is on ) to a comfortable level

While watching in att mode the IR will vary the STB volume. Impacting what you hear & not impacting TV or SB.

If you have a DVD player, you will need to push the TV or aux mode & you will affect both.

If this does not work, please restate your problem. I may have gotten lost.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justin.gordon25 - I looked at the manuals for your TV & SB & I believe I see what your problem is.

There is an instruction to program your SB to allow the TV remote to control the soundbar. It programs the SB to accept the volume IR that the TV uses. You have done this. this is why the two devices respond to the vol control. You should cancel or remove this.

This is the second instance I have seen of this capability. On the surface it appears to make sense - use the same vol control for both TV and SB. I would think it would work fine with your TV speakers turned off.

But, your TV is looking out for you. It tells you when you send a TV vol IR with the speakers off. It expects you to send a non-TV SB IR, which it would not recognize.

Now that we know what the problem is, there are two solutions.

One is to connect the TV to the soundbar by bluetooth or optical or RCA jacks/plugs & see if the TV controls the sound. I would think it would, there would be no need for an alert message. So, maybe it does not. Or, maybe it recognizes one of those connections. It needs to handle OTA, at least. You could complain to samsung.

You can program the SB to work with any other TV or AUX code that does not work with Samsung. Pick a code and if it is aux apply it to u-verse aUX button, then do the SB setup with the u-verse remote to make it work with the SB. If you use a TV code, first you have to change the aux button to be TV. I can tell you how to do that.

Then the 955 programming will apply. YOu need to be sure you are sending the new code to the SB & not still sending the TV code.

You can connect the SB to the STB sound & do the same. This is good if you do not have DVR or other devices. Best to connect to the TV if you can.

Keep in touch.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

That spells the problem out perfectly.

The soundbar is connected to the TV by an optical cord.

Is there any suggestion on what AUX code to use? After that is programmed, then use 955 code to turn volume off for TV mode?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justin.gordon25 - If you want me to pick a code I will arbitrarily pick 4001. If that does not work, pick another.

Yes, once the two devices respond to different codes you can 955 the U-verse remote to follow the mode button (att/ok-955-enter).

I use, you have the option of staying in att mode & varying the STB volume or pushing TV or Aux (whichever is active) to vary that volume. Just remember to press att to get back to controlling the STB.

This setup usually expects the TV speakers are on or off and the SB is either off or on. I suppose you could control the volume down to zero on the one you do not want to hear, if you prefer.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I'm struggling to find a compatible AUX code for the soundbar.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justin.gordon25 - OK, perhaps that SB feature does not support aux codes - only TV codes because that is what it expects you to use.

Here is how to change the AUX button to TV - att/ok - 944 - AUX -TV

It does not say to end with ENTER, but it probably cannot hurt.

After that the AUX button will accept TV codes. Try a Panasonic code.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

So are you thinking I should control the TV through AUX mode and soundbar through TV mode?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

No, the TV through the TV mode & the SB through the aux mode. I believe, this is what you were attempting when you first posted. Normally, there would be a separate IR code for each. Also, you want each mode button to control volume (att/ok - 955- enter.

We learned that the SB has a feature allowing you to program it to respond to the TV volume IR. This normally works great & transparently uses the TV volume control for both devices. It works because either the TV speakers are off or the SB is off. The other responds to the control IR.

But your TV is too smart - If the speakers are off & you use the TV IR for volume it lets you know with a message. iT does not know you are using the same IR for both TV & SB. If this feature were fully implemented, you could disable it for your case.

Back to programming the AUX button. My first suggestion was to use an AUX code(4001) so that you would not have to reprogram the AUX button to be another TV button. Expecting the SB to accept any IR. but it appears it does not accept any IR.

So we need to go to plan B. Use a TV code that is not visible to your TV. Say Panasonic. The AUX button will only accept codes beginning with 4. When you change it to be another TV button it will take codes beginning with 1 or 2.

So, do the 944 programming I provided in message 17. Then look up a Panasonic TV code & apply it the AUX button. Program the SB to accept that AUX IR for volume control.

At that point, you can control the SB volume when in the AUX mode without generating an alert on your TV.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for all the help, but I still haven't found a code that is compatible with the soundbar.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

justin.gordon25 - sorry to hear that. It is kind of complicated. The sound bar works the opposite of most (usually you program the remote to match the device. This is programming the sound bar to match the remote).

The Samsung has the extra feature of displaying an error message when it thinks you are doing the wrong thing (using the TV volume). In your case you are not doing the wrong thing.

You might complain to Samsung & ask if they have a software update to allow you to disable the feature via a menu, or if they can disable it by a software update.

You already did program the soundbar to use the Samsung code. So you do know how to do it. I guess that is the only way to control the soundbar volume. It does not have its own remote.

Maybe try to replicate that process more accurately. Do you have another TV or can you borrow another TV remote from someone? Program the sound bar to that remote. When that is working, program the TV button on the U-verse remote. When that is working you can try changing the aux button to be a TV button & use the the code for the other TV on it. Then redo the regular TV button for the Samsung.
Are you located in CT, by any chance?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.