SevenDegrees's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 2:58 AM

AT&T U-verse volume/power not working

I've been a U-verse customer for several years now, but I've never been able to get my volume or my power button to work on the TV in my bedroom. I have four televisions that use U-verse in my house, and only one of them have power/volume buttons that work. The other three do not work and we are forced to rely on the original remotes that the television sets came with.

Recently, my original TV remote broke, so basically, I am unable to adjust my volume up and down, mute, or even power off my television completely (not just the AT&T) unless I do it by hand.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Ideally, I would like to program all of the AT&T U-verse remotes in my house so that the volume up/down, mute, and power off buttons all work. 

The TV in my room is an Insignia, and the other two TVs that I would also like to fix are Philips and Samsung Smart TV.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

JM15 - There are instructions on the TV and the web site on how to program using codes or searching through all the codes. But, codes can be elusive & require a great deal of fortitude to work through, with no guarantee of success.

On the other hand, for a mere $18 you can program all the TVs on the same remote by getting a refurb Logitech Harmony Model 300 from newegg.com.

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

If you want a remote for each TV you can buy more. If you want to save the extra expense and can use one remote for everything you can buy and program just one. I have three different TVS on mine and two duplicates, so it can operate all the TVs/STBs in the house.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.