lfstewart's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 16th, 2014 7:09 PM

why do i need to restart my DVR every time i turn on the tv?

I've had U-verse for many, many years. Last month I came home from a business trip and my receiver had died, lost all my shows (it was completely full). AT&T sent a new receiver, I installed, set up, and reset all my favorites. The next day I came home, turned on the TV, and nothing. Power was goimg to all devices, but there was no image going to the screen. It needed to be rebooted in order to get any picture to the TV. I thought this was maybe an issue with having a new box, however it happened 3-4 times in the next week, more than 70% of the time.

Spoke to AT&T again, sent back the new VIP2250, got another new VIP2250, set it up, etc. Same exact issue. Spoke to support, they rebooted the wireless, said everything would be fine. Yet I am still seeing the same issue. It's a giant pain to have to reboot nearly every time I turn the TV on! I *believe* shows are getting recorded even if the picture is not making it to the TV screen. I don't want to go through the hassle of sending back yet another box just to have the same issue. I only have one box/TV, and it is a pretty simple set up (see below). But having to reboot daily is absolutely ridiculous. Going through phone support has been an unsuccessful waste of a large amount of my time. Any ideas what else this could possibly be?

Help, please!

DVR receiver - VIP2250

Wireless - 3801HGV

TV - older (6yrs?) Sharp Aquos

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

lfstewart - Two possibilities -

Bad connection on the feed side. Is it COAX? Could be anywhere in the COAX network. Ultimate test is a short cat5 known to work from the RG to the DVR.

Less likely is the HDMI. But, some had trouble with Sharp. Try different HDMI input on TV or switch to component.

You can try swapping with another STB/TV to see if it follows the DVR.

Also, I was initially thinking you were removing power from the DVR. If you do that it will need to reboot when poswer is restored. If you are not doing it intensionally, may it is in a power strip that shuts it down based on the main device.

It is either powering up every time, not seeing the signal at the rigt time when it is waking up or it is not happy wwith the HDMI.

Since you do not yet have any recordings, do a software reload - 

1. Press and hold down the power button.

2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.

3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.

4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks! I'll take a look at the options you mentioned.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you are using HDMI.....try switching to component cables to connect your TV to the DVR STB.  I'm not a fan of HDMI.  Picture is better with component connection anyway.  But that's another discussion.

Samsung and Sharp have both had problems with HDMI compatibilities.  HDMI is an industry standard but there have been some variations tried by companies that have had negative results.  For example....in my own experience.....brand new 55" Sony LCD/LED smart TV.  When connected to the STB via HDMI all the audio outputs from the TV to the external sound bar (tried two different brands) suffer intermittent drop outs.  Makes no difference if I tried the analog outputs or the digital/optical one.  I have changed to component cable connection of the TV to the STB and all audio problems went away.

So....hint....try the component cable connection.  That is the five conductor cable....three video plus two (L & R) audio.  HDMI can be funky.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

10 years ago

Same exact thing is happening to me. Never fails with att.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.