tgrove's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, October 10th, 2011 3:10 PM

Closed

"Press OK to browse a list or recordings" while watching DVR

Often when I try to watch a recorded program on my secondary receiver, I get a bar down near the bottom of the screen that says "Press Ok to browse a list of recordings". Pressing OK, back, or exit just stops the playback and returns to the program list, although the program list generally has to rebuild when this happens. I start the program again, but within a few seconds the message reappears. It never happens on the primary DVR, and it happens most of the time (but not all the time) on the secondary box. The box does not lock up or have any other problems. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry to hear about the interruptions with the recordings. This is a known issue discovered within the Total Home DVR (THDVR), and is currently being worked on. Unfortunately, there isn't a workaround other than backing out of the recording and restarting it at this time. If you have any additional questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, I have seen that on occasion also.  Obviously it is a bug since the THDVR Phase 3 Update.  I'm sure it will be addressed in the future.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

This same thing occasionally happens to me.  Often enough that I know about it, but not often enough that I've started troubleshooting steps, like checking my wiring.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I am a new customer to at&t U-Verse and I have this problem all the time with my bedroom box. I have tried everything but the message keeps coming back. Never does it appear in the main unit. I have the wireless box in the bedroom, so maybe it gets interruption from another source? Annoying for sure. Smiley Mad

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

If your install is coax check and make sure your connections are tight on all of your stbs and RG.  Sometimes they come loose, I don't know how or why but that is what happend to mine.  I tightened the coax connectors and the issues went away.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

I don't think the tightening-the-coax hint will work as well with a wireless box. Smiley Wink

This happens as a result of the STB losing communication with the DVR.  It could be a lose cable somewhere (e.g.. between the DVR and the RG, or between the RG and the Wireless transmitter), or it could be the result of wireless interference.  It happens to me in varying frequency on both of my STBs, but only at the level of it being a mild nuisance (two or three times a month per STB).

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

OK...I'm going to show I'm a newbie by asking what does RG and STB stand for/ You are lucky it only happens a couple times a month, as my problem hapeens at least three times during a 1 hour show. 😞

But really I think it is a wireless interference as I live in a condo and have wireless from every unit near me.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

RG stands for Residential Gateway, the 2WIRE unit.

STB stands for Set Top Box.  The Cisco or Motorola box translating the IPTV into a video signal for the TV set (that such things used to sit on top of, before TV's became thin things that have no top to speak of.)  The DVR is actually a STB, too, but we normally mean the other boxes when we say STB.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I don't think the tightening-the-coax hint will work as well with a wireless boxSmiley Wink

This happens as a result of the STB losing communication with the DVR.  It could be a lose cable somewhere (e.g.. between the DVR and the RG, or between the RG and the Wireless transmitter), or it could be the result of wireless interference.  It happens to me in varying frequency on both of my STBs, but only at the level of it being a mild nuisance (two or three times a month per STB).

I agree.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

I've got one of the new wireless STB and get the same message.  I find that if I click the message, which does take you back to the list, and then click resume play on whatever recording I'm watching, that the message goes away.  I have not seen this on the wired STB that I have...believe in my case that it's isolated to the wireless box.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.