BLGM5's profile

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

Sunday, January 8th, 2012 6:07 PM

can someone take a look at these stats? dvr live tv playback is horrendous at times

watching the same channel on different tvs (non-dvr stb's) i have no issue. only dvr live tv playback is suffering.  like you're watching an OTA channel with 40-50% signal strength.  macroblocking, etc.

probably screwed up by doing a reboot/reset before grabbing stats.

Bitloading-2012-01-08-13-05-18.pngChannelsStreams-2012-01-08-13-05-41.pngCoaxHPNA-2012-01-08-13-05-25.pngErrorTable-2012-01-08-13-05-07.pngInterfaces-2012-01-08-13-05-14.pngStats-2012-01-08-13-01-07.pngStreamAnalyzer-2012-01-08-13-05-49.png

7 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

BLGM5 - Good progress -
The installers were supposed to change coax end connections to compression fittings. Can you remove wall plate & see how it looks on the other side? Make sure you have good solid connection.

Also, find the other end of the cable. New compression fitting? Good connection? Swap the connection with another leg.

May the coax has barrel connector. The cable is not one piece.

Regarding phase 3 - Probably - The thing is Phase 3 is more dmanding on your network. A physical problem that did not show up prior to phase 3 will ruin your picture after phase 3. The fix is the physical network problem

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

would dropping my internet speed from 12mbps down to 6 make any difference?  looks like i should be on the 25/2 profile rather than the 32/5.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

BLGM5 - Do I understand you correctly - this is on one TV? Was it OK before & suddenly went south?

You are HD? With component or HDMI & proper aspect settings? Can you swap cables or STBs from a working TV?
What is you cabling from RG to STBs?

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

one tv only, the one connected to the dvr.  this has been limited to the past few weeks, so i wasn't sure if it was related to the phase 3 stuff i was reading about.

good call on the hdmi cable.  i will try that.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

ive isolated the issue to the location.  i swapped the dvr with a stb in a different room.  the dvr is now working fine on all hd channels on a different coax outlet, and the stb is showing the same macroblocking on the hd channels that the dvr did.  sd channels are fine.

tried 2 different hdmi cables and 3 different coax cables from wall to stb, so i dont think it's a cable issue outside the wall.  maybe a bad connection behind the wall?  problem at the junction?

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

yes to the compression fittings. i noted him doing that at EVERY outlet during the install.

and the culprit was a loose connection at the main junction.  thank you for having the common sense that i clearly didn't have!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

@BLGM5 wrote:

yes to the compression fittings. i noted him doing that at EVERY outlet during the install.

and the culprit was a loose connection at the main junction.  thank you for having the common sense that i clearly didn't have!

Whenever you have a coax install, it's good practice to occasionally tighten all the coax connections wrench tight (tends to forestall loosing), they do loosen up over time.  A loose connection on a coax install can actually cause system-wide problems like the limited ones you saw. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

BLGM5 - Glad we found the problem. Its easy for me to say. My TV is working. I give you props for knowing what I was saying & following through.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.