Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Friday, February 18th, 2011 11:14 PM

Wonder why the search feature stops short

If I do a search for Top Chef, I get listings of shows up until 2/23 at 6pm.

If I forward the guide manually, I can find many other episodes up until 3/2 which is as far as we go right now.

So, I tried another series that I know has lots of episodes.  Same thing.  The search for Law and Order lists episodes thur 3 am on 2/20.  Nothing for the 21st thru 3/2.  this show airs at least 3 times a day.

Just wondering why and what I might be missing because the search isn't in sync with the guide. 

By the way...I already did a re-boot.  I know it stops listing things towards the end of the month.  Just wondering.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

A reboot will not change this.  When you do a search, the results are limited to a certain number of items being returned in the the search.  Thus, there may be more episodes listed in the Guide than are returned in the search.

I have discovered a workaround that might work:

1. After you do your search on a program name, "Top Chef" for instance, in the results, press OK to select the 1st episode in the list. 

2. Scroll over to "People Search" , select one of the people listed.  You should then see a listing of every program in the Guide where this person is listed. 

3. You can scroll through the list to find the programs that you are interested in.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

A reboot will not change this.  When you do a search, the results are limited to a certain number of items being returned in the the search.  Thus, there may be more episodes listed in the Guide than are returned in the search.

I have discovered a workaround that might work:

1. After you do your search on a program name, "Top Chef" for instance, in the results, press OK to select the 1st episode in the list. 

2. Scroll over to "People Search" , select one of the people listed.  You should then see a listing of every program in the Guide where this person is listed. 

3. You can scroll through the list to find the programs that you are interested in.

Thats  really good.  Thanks TG.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

13 years ago

Oh yes...the people search.  I've done that before.  Thanks for reminding me. 

I only mentioned the re-boot because that's usually the 1st thing I get as a response.  It was me being funny.

But did you notice that the upcoming programs listed seem to get more limited towards the end of the month?  It's like it just can't get past that last day to see what's ahead.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

13 years ago

So I just tried the people search idea using Top Chef AND IT WORKED!!!!  Too bad we have to trick the DVR to get what we need sometimes.  It used to bother me, but now it's like a game.

Thanks all.....

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

13 years ago

Yeah, it's kind of strange how the DVR's search stops after a certain number of entries and doesn't list all of them.The guide even stops listing the episode name for episodes about a week away, which is kind of annoying. At least the Web Remote lists every upcoming episode and its episode title.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.