Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Wireless receiver access point

ACE - Professor

Wireless receiver access point

We currently have 12 mb internet and u200 TV service.There is an INID on the outside of the house and an I38hg access point in the house. If I get a wireless receiver, do I need another access point or can the wireless receiver connect to the I38hg? My plan is to connect it via an ethernet cable but want to know how it connects wirelessly.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 20
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Wireless receiver access point

@aviewer wrote:

When that consideration went away, other considerations come into play. One is that the DVR is recording multiple streams - why add another to watch. Also, the DVR can accept four streams, but the last one must be SD/ So, if you are recording 3 HD the fourth watched on a DVR is SD. You may have 4 HD to the house & you can watch the fourth on another TV.

That may no longer be the case with most users.  I have had 4 recordable HD streams for about a year, I and I can record 3 HD channels and watch a 4th HD channel on the TV connected to the DVR.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Ingress-Profile-0-SD-4-HD/m-p/3567733#M106565

Message 16 of 20
ACE - Professor

I have the wireless dvr hard w

I have the wireless receiver hard wired to the RG. I have several internet capable devices that don't have wireless capability near the receiver. Can I disconnect the receiver from the ethernet cable and connect the other devices to check for updates and reconnect the receiver without any trouble? I presume I should turn off the wireless receiver before I disconnect and reconnect it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 20
ACE - Expert

Re: I have the wireless dvr hard w

Yes, you could temporarily disconnect the TV receiver and connect other devices to get updates from the Internet.   When you re-connect the receiver and power it up, it should download the software and come right up in a few minutes.  If you don't power it down before disconnecting, it may attempt to connect up via the WAP.

Message 18 of 20
ACE - Professor

Can I connect my RG to a netgear gs108 switch and then connect my wireless receiver and other internet devices to the switch without messing up the TV signal? I would only be using one device at a time (apple TV, Blu ray player, STB, etc).

Message 19 of 20
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACE - Professor
Accepted by browndk26
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

As long as none of the devices you connect to the same switch as your receiver is a wireless access point/router, you should be able to leave them connected to the switch full time.  Nothing you listed would pose a problem.

Tags (1)
Message 20 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support