browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Thursday, September 4th, 2014 12:40 AM

Wireless receiver access point

We currently have 12 mb internet and u200 TV service.There is an INID on the outside of the house and an I38hg access point in the house. If I get a wireless receiver, do I need another access point or can the wireless receiver connect to the I38hg? My plan is to connect it via an ethernet cable but want to know how it connects wirelessly.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

The objective is to provide a super signal to the wireless receiver. Since at&t provides a relatively short cat5 cable you can start with that & see if it works well. JUust do not place it real close to the I38hg. There have been posts about interference.

If you do not get good service to the wireless receiver, purchase a longer cat5 cable (monoprice.com) & place the WAP closer to the wireless receiver.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

What model wireless receiver is being used now? Any photos available?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

The current model is a 7005. Here is a great link that goes over the Wireless Receiver.

-David T

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Question to aviewer,

In another post you said to put the DVR on a less used TV and the receiver on a more frequently used TV. In my case I was going to hardwire a new wireless receiver to the secondary TV in the basement. Davidt suggested settting up the wireless receiver using the WAP first. It sounds like it would be advisable to put the DVR on my basement TV and the receiver on the TV close to the RG. Is that correct?

Recording can be set and watched from the DVR or a receiver correct?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

The user facing functionality of a receiver(aka STB) and the DVR is exactly the same. This was deployed with "whole house DVR". Prior to that feature the DVR was usually connected to the most used TV to get the most out of live trick play.

When that consideration went away, other considerations come into play. One is that the DVR is recording multiple streams - why add another to watch. Also, the DVR can accept four streams, but the last one must be SD/ So, if you are recording 3 HD the fourth watched on a DVR is SD. You may have 4 HD to the house & you can watch the fourth on another TV.

Also, the DVR feeds recordings to the rest of the house. This is why cat5 is recommended & a wireless DVR is not possible. If cat5 conflicts with least used, you have to select which is best for your case. Everything is relative & these particular recommends are not cut & dry. Just adders that must be balanced against other things.

Possibly, one reason DavidT recommended you try the wireless just to be sure it is working. I would do that.

If there is no problem, DVR not on the least used TV is not a biggie. If there is a problem, it may be a solution to that problem.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

When that consideration went away, other considerations come into play. One is that the DVR is recording multiple streams - why add another to watch. Also, the DVR can accept four streams, but the last one must be SD/ So, if you are recording 3 HD the fourth watched on a DVR is SD. You may have 4 HD to the house & you can watch the fourth on another TV.

That may no longer be the case with most users.  I have had 4 recordable HD streams for about a year, I and I can record 3 HD channels and watch a 4th HD channel on the TV connected to the DVR.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Ingress-Profile-0-SD-4-HD/m-p/3567733#M106565

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

I have the wireless receiver hard wired to the RG. I have several internet capable devices that don't have wireless capability near the receiver. Can I disconnect the receiver from the ethernet cable and connect the other devices to check for updates and reconnect the receiver without any trouble? I presume I should turn off the wireless receiver before I disconnect and reconnect it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you could temporarily disconnect the TV receiver and connect other devices to get updates from the Internet.   When you re-connect the receiver and power it up, it should download the software and come right up in a few minutes.  If you don't power it down before disconnecting, it may attempt to connect up via the WAP.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

Can I connect my RG to a netgear gs108 switch and then connect my wireless receiver and other internet devices to the switch without messing up the TV signal? I would only be using one device at a time (apple TV, Blu ray player, STB, etc).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.