browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Thursday, September 4th, 2014 12:40 AM

Wireless receiver access point

We currently have 12 mb internet and u200 TV service.There is an INID on the outside of the house and an I38hg access point in the house. If I get a wireless receiver, do I need another access point or can the wireless receiver connect to the I38hg? My plan is to connect it via an ethernet cable but want to know how it connects wirelessly.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @browndk26,

The wireless receiver actually uses a different WAP than a i38hg. It will plug into the Ethernet port in your i38hg and sync with the Wireless Receiver. You can also connect the Wireless receiver via Ethernet cable for a hard wired connection, and you will not need the wireless access point connected if it is connected hard wired.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

9 years ago

As long as none of the devices you connect to the same switch as your receiver is a wireless access point/router, you should be able to leave them connected to the switch full time.  Nothing you listed would pose a problem.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Wireless receivers connect differently than wireless internet. A WAP connects up to two wireless receivers. The WAP would connect the same as a wired receiver. The only way to improve range of a WAP is a longer connecting wire to place it better.

The I38hg transmits for the internet wi-fi, You can have multiples of these to improve internet wireless.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

So I would need an additional WAP if I wanted to use it wirelessly. I presume the wireless receiver and the WAP for it would ship together.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, the WAP is included in the wireless receiver package. That may be why thet have the one time $49 charge.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

While you would still need a WAP, you can connect your wireless devices capable of 5 GHz networking to the WAP given to you with the wireless receiver. This is not supported by AT&T.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Ordered the wireless receiver today. Due Monday but maybe it will arrive earlier. Any tips on how to install it?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

I would install it following the instructions to do it wireless. Once you get the wireless aspect of it working, you can just connect the Ethernet cable to it and connect it hardwire as you planned. After that, you can unplug the WAP that came with the Wireless receiver.

-David T

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Davidt,

The wireless receiver will be in the basement about 50 feet away and one level below the I38hg. Should I plug the WAP into the ethernet cable I will be using for the wireless receiver and keep the WAP close to the receiver when I activate it? Or just keep it near the I38hg?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.