Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Wireless Uverse receiver only connects when plugged into certain wall

Contributor

Wireless Uverse receiver only connects when plugged into certain wall

We just had our U-Verse set up in our new apartment, with the main receiver in the living room and the second wireless receiver in our bedroom, right down the hall. For some reason, the wireless receiver will only connect when it's plugged into one of the walls, but won't work on the wall we want to plug it into? The wall it plugs into is only slightly closer, so I don't know if that's what the difference is.

It's just annoying because the outlet it does work plugged into is the one with the switch, which I would like to be able to plug my lamp into instead so it turns on when I flip the switch. Instead, we can't use the switch at all, or else we turn off the whole tv and have to reset everything again.

Anybody know why this is happening, or have any solutions?

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Guru

Re: Wireless Uverse receiver only connects when plugged into certain wall

Try and re position the wireless access point transmitter that sends the information to the wireless receiver.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Wireless Uverse receiver only connects when plugged into certain wall

...but won't work on the wall we want to plug it into.

"Won't work" as it won't even come on or it simply cannot get a signal from it's WAP (little box ethernet connected to the gateway)?

Does the wireless receiver even come on, and if it does, during it's booting what is the signal strength shown by the bars on the front of the receiver?  3 is marginal, 4-5 is best.  If can't get a signal to pair with its WAP then do what is suggested above to move the WAP around until the wireless receiver can "see" it.  Maybe use a longer ethernet cable to give you more freedom to move the WAP around.  

If the receiver doesn't even power up I would say there's is something wrong with that socket.  Is it on a switch too?  Do other things work from that socket (e.g., a clock or something)?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support