adam2015's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, July 25th, 2015 12:48 PM

Wireless Receivers Losing Connection

I'm decently technical, which is why I'm asking a question here as opposed to calling ATT.

We have had Uverse TV and internet since early 2013, and love the service. I have one main wired reciever in our living room and two wireless recievers in other rooms of our house.

I've found the wireless receivers work decently well, but every few days while watching they will suddenly stop working. The green bars will disappear and a message will be displayed saying it has lost connection with the WAP. At that point, you can remedy the problem by resetting that wireless receiver. When it reboots it starts working agian just fine. Something seems to be causing the WAP/Wireless receiver connection to blink or get interrupted, but again a simple reboot from the receiver reestablishes the signal.

This is far from a major problem, but it's an annoyance. I have already had one of the wireless recievers replaced by ATT since it is only separated from the WAP by one interior wall (shows full bars), but the problem continues. I have gone through all the normal steps to ensure the recievers are joined to the WAP, and again they work perfectly most of the time. This issue just appears randomly every few days.

I've read old posts about similar user problems and have confirmed we have a Cisco WAP. I'm just not sure what to do next. This cannot be the norm.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

9 years ago

@adam2015 wrote:
... but it is impossible to separate the WAP and RG by 5-feet given the ethernet cable provided. Do you think I should get a longer one to do this? They are not side-by-side, but also not 5-feet apart....

An emphatic "Yes."  At least 5 feet, and 10 if you can get it, and try to make sure that they're not in a "straight line" with respect to the wireless TV receivers.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

We are in a single family home in a typical suburban subdivision.

I've checked all the wires and they seem fine, but it is impossible to separate the WAP and RG by 5-feet given the ethernet cable provided. Do you think I should get a longer one to do this? They are not side-by-side, but also not 5-feet apart.

I do have a pair of wireless headphones, but those are not always in use when the problem occurs. They are Sennheiser TR160.

I appreciate your reply and willingness to help me solve this issue. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you. I will try it, and report back. It's frustrating that a Uverse installer would set it up this way if it's known they should be separated by so many feet.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you very much for the helpful responses. We have made it a week without a single drop out after I re-cabled the WAP with a longer Ethernet cord, which is now 10 feet away from the RG. Both wireless receivers in our home seem to be working beautifully.

I would like to commend the technicians who curate this forum. I could have easily just called AT&T customer service, but I fear a sales person would have only thrown new a receiver/WAP/RG at the problem without truly trying to diagnose my issue. You guys saved me a lot of time and frustration. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I agree.  Our installer put our WAP right next to the RG.  I have since moved it as far as the cord will allow, probably 3-4 feet and our signal is better, but we still have to reboot the receivers about once a week.  If I have a longer ethernet cord I may try that and move it farther to see if it helps.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have been on my Uverse system for 14 months now and have had two small issues until recently. I've had my RG replaced once and a wired receiver.  Now I'm having the same issue with my wireless receivers.

What I find AMAZING is that you guys are saying to have the WAP 5-10' away from the RG. When mine was installed it was placed all of SIX INCHES away from the RG. And I've had two other service guys here who never said a word about moving the WAP.

Personally, my internet service sucks- slow speeds so I have to keep changing the channel settings. We only "like" the tv part (on-demand is a fraction of what comcast offers), and now this.  I have regreted switching to AT&T from comcast since day one. Might have to start looking into switching back after the holidays

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

i cannot watch tv because the receiver is not working

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi I need some help I have verse wireless in the master bedroom where my desktop was stationed I have moved my desktop to another room and the modem is still hooked up in the master bedroom I cannot get internet on my desktop I went to the att store and a young man showed me how to install the wireless info to make wifi access Ok I followed his directions but don't see where to put the modem info What info would I need from the modem? Also I have Windows xp Is that ok? Any help would be appreciated

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Once a week is normal.  My uverse internet drops at least once a week and will come back on it's own if you just wait.  I live in Los Angeles and nothing works out here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I've been having problems with the WAP - The WAP was installed 6 inches away from the RG.

If you have your home wired with CAT5E or CAT6, then try the following:

• Get rid of the WAP if you have an ethernet connexion (RJ45) next to your TV
  • Hardwire the connexion between the RG and the Wireless Receiver (This is using your CAT5E / CAT6 wired connexion)

This is working pretty well so far.

Some things I've noticed are the following:

• The WAP had maximum bandwidth speed of 100 Mbits/Sec
  • The Wireless Receiver, when hardwired, has a maximum bandwidth of 100 Mbits/Sec.
  • The Wireless Receiver lost connexion two to three times per day

My next step is to install a switch and a different network segment in between the RG and the rest of the home.  This would place the Wireless Receivers in a different network segment.  I'm not sure if this is going to work 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.