southern planter's profile

Explorer

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 3:29 PM

Wireless Receiver

How much is the new u-verse wireless receiver and does it really work well?  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

From the link below:

Wireless Receiver: A one-time fee of $49, and monthly recurring fee of $7, per wireless receiver applies. Wireless from the Wireless Access Point to the Wireless Receiver; power outlet and separate connection of Wireless Receiver to TV is required. For residential use in a single household only. Limit 2 wireless receivers per household. Customer responsible for use of Wireless Receiver. Actual range of wireless signal will vary and may be limited by several factors including, but not limited to electromagnetic interference, home construction material, obstructions, and other environmental factors.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/wireless-receiver.jsp

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Huge disappointment on my end with the wireless receivers. I had U-verse installed on Nove 5th 2011. The tech who installed it decided that it would be too difficult to run the wires where i needed the tv's located so he hooked up wireless instead. there has been 3 tech's out since then trying to resolve the issue of my recorded shows freezing for a slight second and then skipping when it came back. very irritating.

Issues are still not resolved and another appointment has been made for yet another technician to comeout so I can walk them through the whole problem again and we can go through all the steps already done yet again.

If your thinking about going wireless, don't.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

I've seen good reviews from others who have the wireless receiver.  Your issues are probably not due to the use of the wireless receiver.

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears to be any issues with your system.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I have an appointment next week to get Uverse service.  I'm getting the wireless receiver for our workout room.

Right now we have DSL and the 2Wire gateway is in our office at the back of the house.  I'm assuming that the gateway for Uverse will get installed in this office as well.

If so, as I understand the system configuration, the functionality of the wireless receiver will be the range of the Access point to the receiver itself.

So the $100 question is:  What is the effective range of these two components.   Yes, I understand that walls and materials affect the answer.  It's about 50 feet (and 3 sheetrock walls) from where I expect the Gateway to be installed to where we want the wireless receiver to be connected.  

What do you all think?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

The range of the WAP for the wireless receiver is approximately 100 feet.  Which U-verse services are you getting?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

HD Video, voip, 24mips internet.

I'm a little nervous as we aren't getting fiber to the house.   Apparently, it's fiber to some location and copper throughout the neighborhood.

We left cable services many years ago and went with satellite due to video and service issues.

Thus, I'm taking a chance and hope it goes well.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

BTW, I'm a Texas guy too.  Smiley Wink

Live in DFW area.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Whitehaven wrote:

I'm a little nervous as we aren't getting fiber to the house.   Apparently, it's fiber to some location and copper throughout the neighborhood.

That is the setup for the vast majority of U-verse customers.  

Which satellite service do you currently have?  I had both Dish Network and DirecTV prior to U-verse.  I don't miss either one of them.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Whitehaven wrote:

BTW, I'm a Texas guy too.  Smiley Wink

Live in DFW area.

Cool.  I'm also in the DFW area!  Always nice to meet a fellow Texan.  😉

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I have Dish Network and to be fair I've enjoyed their service.   Just looking for more options for my enterainment.  Plus the raging internet speek.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm really hoping that the wireless reciever (and it's range) will open up a number of enterainment possibilities.   TV in the workout room, on the patio, out by the firepit, etc.

What do you think?  I hope the installation person is flexible and/or creative in meeting my expectations. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.