southern planter's profile

Explorer

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 3:29 PM

Wireless Receiver

How much is the new u-verse wireless receiver and does it really work well?  Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

12 years ago

Use a Netgear/D-link (or other) Wireless router, configured to serve as an access point.  You can connect it by CAT 5e to the RG and locate it anywhere you can connect it for better home coverage.  There are quite a few posts on how to do that already in this forum.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Is there any way to connect it to the receiver in the front of the house?  U-Verse tech installed a router at the RG for the wireless receiver in the back of the house - it just isn't "strong" enough to reach the front of the house.  Or, could the problem be with my iPhone?  It gets a signal (weak) in the back of the house, but not the front.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

12 years ago

Another way to increase your wireless reach/range is to do a scan for other wireless networks in the area and move your wireless channel away from those.  For instance, most 2wire modems/RGs default to channel 1 when unpacked.  If the modem/RG does not change this channel and there are several nearby this can cause interference.  I had an issue with mine being weak until I changed the channel on my wireless network and now it runs a lot smoother.

One your wireless stb, the easy way to tell how the strong the signal to it is, use the signal LEDs on the front next to the power.  A good tech on install wants to make sure you have at least three if not four bars.  Also, if the wireless receiver works well and your wireless devices don't, it's a good sign that you might need to change your wireless channel.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I hate to admit it, but I am such a dummy with all of this.  If I change the channel on the RG, do I have to do anything else?  Like change the router?  if so how and what?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I live in DFW area as well. I am having issues with the WAP and wireless receiver's signal strength. Sometimes no signal at all and sometimes we get a signal, but everyone has to be seated or else the signal cuts out if a person stands and "blocks the signal". Is it possible to run a cat5 or create a wap further away from the RG (closer to wireless box)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I have had the wireless receiver since Dec 5 2011 and have had nothing but problems.  As someone else said below it pauses frequently during live TV and during playback of recorded programs. It also freezes at times during recorded playback and you have to go thru pressing buttons on the remote, find your program again in the list of programs and then restart and fast forward to where you were watching. And now its worse - it goes completely black and you have to unplug it and reboot the receiver completely. When this happens DURING THE SUPER BOWL!!! it is serious.

I am on my second receiver and they both had the same issues so it has to be the receiver.

I thought AT&T was aware when they sent me a survey over a month ago asking if I was having any of these issues - their survey actually listed all the issues I was having. BUT when you call tech support they say they have never heard of such issues ??? REALLY???

I think I resent the attitude of corporate trying to hide the problem more than anything else. You obviously know - or someone does - so why don't your techs know - or know but not allowed to admit it!

There is obviously an issue - you can find more reports on the internet of all the same problems. So just admit there is an issue and give me some idea of how and when you hope to resolve it and I will stick with you. But don't lie to me or try to cover up the issues.

I love the picture quality of the fiber optics, but if I can't resolve the issues I am going back to cable.  

Very dissatisfied AT&T customer!

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

I have 2 wireless boxes one works fine the other has problems. One is hooked up via HDMI to a Sanyo TV and the other is hooked to a Samsung via HDMI. The problem is almost every day when I turn on the Samsung TV and box after a few minutes to picture goes black and the wireless box freezes and has to be unplugged to reboot the box to get it working again. After rebooting it will be fine until it is turned off and back on again. The Sanyo with its box works just fine.  I have switched the boxes on the Samsung and Sanyo and the problem stays with the Samsung. I have also tried leaving the wireless box and only turning off the TV but the problem is still there.  I have also tried a different HDMI cable.  There must be some sort of compatibility issue with the wireless box and this model of Samsung TV.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Very interesting - my TV is a samsung as well -????

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@todarling wrote:

I have 2 wireless boxes one works fine the other has problems. One is hooked up via HDMI to a Sanyo TV and the other is hooked to a Samsung via HDMI. The problem is almost every day when I turn on the Samsung TV and box after a few minutes to picture goes black and the wireless box freezes and has to be unplugged to reboot the box to get it working again. After rebooting it will be fine until it is turned off and back on again. The Sanyo with its box works just fine.  I have switched the boxes on the Samsung and Sanyo and the problem stays with the Samsung. I have also tried leaving the wireless box and only turning off the TV but the problem is still there.  I have also tried a different HDMI cable.  There must be some sort of compatibility issue with the wireless box and this model of Samsung TV.

Try switching from an HDMI cable to component cables on the Samsung to if the problem persists.  

Guru

• 

692 Messages

12 years ago

Hello, everyone I am back. I'm in a new place and U-verse was available. I'm 1,700 ft from the VRad and have the highest amount of HD Channels and the highest internet is avaible. (Thanks to UV Realtime http://www.uvrealtime.com/download.aspx for the info) it's great to be back on one of the best TV services out there.

I got the wireless reciever and I really like them. I like how you don't need a cable port to have them. A great idea by AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.