southern planter's profile

Explorer

• 

18 Messages

Wednesday, November 9th, 2011 3:29 PM

Wireless Receiver

How much is the new u-verse wireless receiver and does it really work well?  Thanks

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

I don't have a wireless receiver, but it looks like a good option if you want to be able to watch TV occasionally in different locations.  I had Dish Network for 3 years prior to switching to U-verse in May 2009.  I don't miss Dish, and I haven't looked back.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Do you have fiber to the house?

Also, do you think the installation person will be flexible in meeting my expectations?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

No, I have fiber to the node (FTTN).  Very few U-verse customers have fiber to the premises (FTTP).

It depends on what expectations you are referring to during the installation.  The premises technicians are told to install U-verse in the way that is easiest for them to install it.  The new wireless receivers do allow for a lot more flexibility.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions.  One last one.....

Would you expect that we will be able to retain the Gateway in our office?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Perhaps, but it depends on the technician.  The technician normally determines the best place to locate the RG.  You can tell him where you would like it to be, but he'll make the call ask to whether or not that location will work.  My RG is in my office which is where my old cable modem was located prior to getting U-verse.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for all of your support.   It's been very useful.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

If you have any other questions, just let us know.  There a lot of knowledgeable customers here on the forum who are always happy to help.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

THREE BIG QUESTIONS.......

1---Do we install the ONE wireless FIRST ---- then disconnect the other wired.......& then what do we do with those???

2---How do you know if you need TWO, rather than one!!!!????

IF this works, then we have to cover up & disable all the Uverse outlets and repair sheetrock presumably in all the rooms where we've just had them installed in our new house this Fall -------RIGHT???            wonder why AT&T even wanted me to PAY for special wires for all of them, when this was going to be an option!?    😞

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

12 years ago

@picketyfence wrote:

THREE BIG QUESTIONS.......

1---Do we install the ONE wireless FIRST ---- then disconnect the other wired.......& then what do we do with those???

2---How do you know if you need TWO, rather than one!!!!????

IF this works, then we have to cover up & disable all the Uverse outlets and repair sheetrock presumably in all the rooms where we've just had them installed in our new house this Fall -------RIGHT???            wonder why AT&T even wanted me to PAY for special wires for all of them, when this was going to be an option!?    😞

1) DVR's may not be served wirelessly, so you'll have to have at least one wired box (unless you're on U-100 or U-Basic and don't have a DVR at all).

2) AT&T doesn't show its cards before it plays them.  They didn't tell anyone wireless reciever were coming until they had them on the trucks.  Your wired STBs will continue to work fine.  In your situation, I don't think I'd be looking to pay the trip charge and the initial service fee for getting wireless boxes to replace wired ones.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I just had U-Verse installed - and have a wireless receiver in my den - RG is in the hall, close to center of the house.  So far, wireless receiver works well.  My issue is the range for wifi.  I can pick up a signal, weak though it is, in the front of the house on my lap top, but can not get anything on my iPhone if I am more than 15' (unobstructed) away.  If any of the doors are closed, then I get nothing.  Before U-Verse I was able to get signal on the front porch, with the doors closed. 

Not real impressed or amused. 

WHat is the easiest (not a tech person here) way for me to extend range/improve signal strength?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.