placcy's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 16th, 2014 6:09 PM

Wireless Access Point for Wireless DVR Receiver in Bedroom - Green Lights Blinking, but Not Solid

Wireless Access Point for Wireless DVR Receiver in Bedroom - Lights Blinking, not Solid

Is this normal? Many times I get hesitation while in the bedroom, it says "DVR working" when i try and do commands. The wireless DVR doesn't seem very stable.

Model VAP2500

the "Paired" and "Link" lights are blinking green. Are they supposed to go solid when its a proper connection, or are they supposed to blink?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

just thought i'd answer my own question:

http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/VAP2500_quick_start_guide_588457_001_a.pdf

Turns out the green blinking is how it should be. It is solid green, but blinks when traffic is detected. Now I don't know why its blinking always considering the bedroom TV has been off all day, but i'll just leave it at that.

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

The reality is while WiFi is hyped a lot and suggested is the greatest thing since sliced bread it isn't that realiable. Remember your Gateway is transmitting a radio signal. Wireless if I remember correctly has 14 channels authorized by the FCC in the US. Unlike TV, AM or FM radio the channels authorized for WiFi "bleed" into ajoining channels which can interfer with transmission and reception. If you have a lot of neighbors also using WiFi or if there are obstacles in you house the radio signals are having trouble passing through or the distances are longer, you may, at times see slow down, stuttering and hesitation. 

I only have one "wireless" receiver, right next to my main TV connected via a short Ethernet cable.

Since I haven't tried, somebody else can comment. I assume you can convert your bedroom wireless DVD receiver to connect via Ethernet directly by running cables or with the newer plug into any electrical outlet method. That should remove all hesitation issues if it gets annoying.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@billy-xwow wrote:

The reality is while WiFi is hyped a lot and suggested is the greatest thing since sliced bread it isn't that realiable. Remember your Gateway is transmitting a radio signal. Wireless if I remember correctly has 14 channels authorized by the FCC in the US...

None of this applies to the wireless receivers used by AT&T U-verse:  (a) You get a separate Wireless Access Point dedicated to broadcasting to the receivers, (b) the WAP and receivers will use 5.0 GHz, not the congested 2.4 GHz that has the 11 channels in the US (14, I believe, is the number elsewhere).

Yes, they are subject to wireless interference and are not for every situation, but for many people they serve a purpose.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.