Wired receiver requires technician install? Does wireless receiver let you use Ethernet port?

Highlighted
Tutor

Wired receiver requires technician install? Does wireless receiver let you use Ethernet port?

[ Edited ]

I attempted to order an additional U-Verse receiver for my existing 2-receiver (VIP1225, VIP1200) setup. It would only allow me to add a wireless receiver. A chat revealed that a wired receiver requires a technician visit.. ?!!

1. Is this a steadfast rule? Having done the CAT-6 in my house and configured additional wireless routers to work with the RG, I figure I'm capable enough to plug in an additional receiver into the RG. Smiley Happy

2. If not, does the wireless receiver also function as a wired receiver?

Message 1 of 8 (6,249 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author dougbee
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Wired receiver requires technician install? Does wireless receiver let you use Ethernet port?

The wireless receiver can also operate as a wired receiver with an Ethernet connection.  The wireless receiver will give you much more flexibility than the wired receiver.

Message 2 of 8 (6,244 Views)
Tutor

Re: Wired receiver requires technician install? Does wireless receiver let you use Ethernet port?

Thanks! Are these available in-store or are they only online?
Message 3 of 8 (6,241 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

You need to call Customer Service to order.  They are delivered by UPS.  You cannot pick them up at an AT&T store.

Message 4 of 8 (6,237 Views)
Scholar

They were charging $49 for the wireless receiver (possibly for the Wireless Access Point that comes with it).   As far as I know that charge still exists.

Message 5 of 8 (6,211 Views)
Expert

bri_man_65 wrote:

They were charging $49 for the wireless receiver (possibly for the Wireless Access Point that comes with it).   As far as I know that charge still exists.

That may be the case, but if a tech has one on his truck he can offer to give you one at no charge.  The prem tech who gave me a 2250 offered me a wireless stb but I told him I didn't want one.  If it is being shipped, then unless you get a very cooperative CSR, avoiding the fee would be impossible.  IMHO

Message 6 of 8 (6,189 Views)
Contributor

"The wireless receiver can also operate as a wired receiver with an Ethernet connection.  The wireless receiver will give you much more flexibility than the wired receiver."

So are you saying I can utilize the COAX connection on the wireless receiver for INPUT from the gateway situated elsewhere and then use the HDMI out to the TV and the Ethernet for network connectivity??

Message 7 of 8 (5,349 Views)
Expert

rebirth24 wrote:

So are you saying I can utilize the COAX connection on the wireless receiver for INPUT from the gateway situated elsewhere and then use the HDMI out to the TV and the Ethernet for network connectivity??

No, the wireless receivers only accept a cat5 (i.e. Ethernet) connection for the input. A coaxial cable cannot be used for the input.

Message 8 of 8 (5,341 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.