joewalk0002's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 8:18 PM

Why does live buffer stop while i am watching a recorded show?

Why does live buffer stop while i am watching a recorded show? For example if i select a 1/2 hr recorded comedy to watch while an hour long dram is buffering, when i come back to TV it starts at that point as if i just changed to that channel and no buffer is available.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

joewalk0002 - Are you trying to replicate the advertised pause & pickup (in another room? That is a mis-statement. Some, that listened to the add say it applies to recordings, not live. Which is partially true. It is recordings, but the button/function is STOP, not pause.

When watching a live show, if you leave the channel, in any way, even for less than a second, the buffer goes away. That is the way it works.

If you want to "pause" a show and come back to it -
Set it to record.
Watch the recording.
Press the stop button or go direct to another channel.
To return to the "paused" recording hit the last button. You can also return to that point any time, any STB via the recording menu.

The "auto loss" occurs when watching a live show & a message appears saying it was removed from the buffer because some other resource needed it. I am not sure why I need to know, unless I tried a rewind. Maybe it would make sense not to display the message automatically. Display only on rewind. Either way the customer has no control of what happened.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Because U-verse has limited streams available coming into the house, it doesn't decide to use one just-in-case you quit recording a show and want to rewind to the beginning of what you were tuned to before you started watching the recording.

You can always press the Record button before beginning to watch the already recorded show and it will save any buffered content as well as any continuing content up to the end of the current show.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

In would understand that to be the reason if i was recording anything at all. But just this very minute with no recordings being made i swithched to a recorded show and back to live and the buffer is empty and starting fresh.

The only incoming stream would have been the live show i was watching because the recorded show is stored in my stb , correct?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

joewalk0002 - Your two posts in this thread are two different things.

When you change channels, including watching a recording, the buffer on the channel you are leaving is lost. This is why you cannot toggle two live buffers. You cannot toggle two recordings, because recordings are accessible on only one channel - 9999. If at&t opened up channel 9998 for additional access to recordings, the last button would toggle the two.

The reason for the auto loss of a buffer is not known. I had not seen that for some time & it just occurred at 4:30. I think there was not enough activity to cause it, but, it may have been overlap on two recordings.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

aviewer - i dont think you understood my question. In both posts i attempted to describe the same problem.

Simply put--- When i am watching a live show and pause it, then start to view a recorded show, even if only for 1 minute, when i return to broadcaast tv from the recording, the buffer is lost and it starts fresh at the time i return.

If that is just the way Uverse works i can accept that.

The explanations i have received so far indicate that i am trying to view two live "streams' or two "live buffers" which is not what iwas describing. 

Also i am not familiar with what you desribe as "auto loss" of the buffer. Can you explain please? 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

Bottom line....LIVE TV is only buffered as long as you do not leave that channel. 

If you change over to watch a recording (or if the dog steps on the remote and changes the channel), then, yes, your LIVE TV buffer is lost.   Been there, done that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks,  

I wasnt doing anything fancy,like switching rooms. 

This answers my question perfectly.----> When watching a live show, if you leave the channel, in any way, even for less than a second, the buffer goes away. That is the way it works

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Bottom line...the lack of dual live bufferis an amazing display of incompetence in design. 

I remember Directv being hounded by customers back in the 90's for not having it, until finally they did.  It's a great convenience. You're watching one channel, flip to another for a while, then flip back to the first channel, and now you just back up a little to see what you missed.  

Fabulous! Duh!  Been enjoying that on Verizon Fios for years, but now live in Uverse "territory."

this omission is only equaled by the amazing lack of slow motion playback on Uverse, something I previously always had since my VCR in the 80's!  

Cutting edge technology, not. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

You can actually accomplish this by RECORDING the program that you are interested in.  Then you can switch between that and other channels (or recordings) without losing any of it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, but I'm not interested in extra work-arounds that leave little recordings on my dvr that I have to go back and clean off later.
How about just doing it right, so that we catch up to the 90's?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.