atandtnever's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, February 15th, 2018 10:43 PM

Why am I being charged for returned equipment?

My wife has become legally disabled in the past 3 years and I have had to deal with AT&T over returned equipment. She opened the account and we had nothing but service problems, which is why we dropped them. They said they received the equipment we shipped from UPS store. But because I did not return it within the three month period from cancellation of service that I am stuck with the equipment charges, and they are keeping the equipment.

How can you charge $900 for the equipment we no longer have possession of,  tell me that you received it back,  send the amount to collections, then hammer my LEGALLY DISABLED wife's credit files, mailbox, and phone wanting money.

NOT RIGHT, I was told by collections at ATT nothing can be done about it.  So I resort to the internet to give my opinions, and to warn others ......

You have the equipment and still want me to pay you for it. What gives? I hope a PR representative or CS Agent is reading this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

As per Terms of Service

Return of Equipment.

Upon termination of the Services for whatever reason, you must return the Equipment, undamaged, within 21 calendar days to AT&T. If the Equipment is not returned within 21 calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the value of the Equipment. We may retain any advance payment or deposit, or portion thereof that previously had not been refunded, if you fail to return the Equipment within this time period. If the Equipment is returned within 90 days of termination, any fees charged for the Equipment will be refunded (other than fees for damages). No refunds will be made for any Equipment returned more than 90 days after termination.

Terms of Service is a legally binding agreement you agree to when accepting services.

It is what it is.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

4 years ago

The only time you would not need to return equipment is if you bought your own modem (prior to Jan. 2017).  Logically, if it's equipment leased from and owned by AT&T, you would need to return it.

As per the Terms of Service 

Upon termination of the Services for whatever reason, you must return the Equipment, undamaged, within 21 calendar days to AT&T. If the Equipment is not returned within 21 calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the value of the Equipment. We may retain any advance payment or deposit, or portion thereof that previously had not been refunded, if you fail to return the Equipment within this time period. If the Equipment is returned within 90 days of termination, any fees charged for the Equipment will be refunded (other than fees for damages). No refunds will be made for any Equipment returned more than 90 days after termination.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Why was the equipment kept and not returned back to me? This constitutes fraud.

You accepted the return. If I was past the 90 days the return should have been rejected and sent back to us. As any legitamate company would do that is trying to charge their customer.

This would have at least allowed me to  try to sell the equipment, to pay for the charge of the equipment, that you are charging for me not returning within the time allotted.

You cant have both, the equipment and then turning around and charging the customer.  It's illegal. I am not disputing the late equipment return. I am disputing being charged a fee for equipment that you kept. Please return my equipment if I am being charged, so that I may settle up the account.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

You were the one that decided to return the equipment late.  Did someone tell you that you could return the equipment anytime you wanted? 

Is anything about this illegal?  Only if you had sold the equipment (which belongs to ATT).  THAT would have been illegal.  Is it fraud?  No since it's clearly stated in the TOS.

As an attorney friend told me just today, no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. *smdh*

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yes we called att about the collection we received in the mail. We were told it was equipment charges and that we could return the equipment to UPS and they would look up the account and pack and ship it. That is just what I did. 3 months when I go to clean up my wife's credit. It's still there on all credit bureaus.

It is fraud when you accept and keep a return package under an agreement. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. He has advised me from start. He actually asked me to call ATT first which i did and then that I post here after I got my response on the phone from collections.

He said in between the calls, my wife's condition, and ATT keeping the equipment that was returned, a civil case would close quickly. Looks like that's where I'm headed next.

If you are not with AT&T please refrain from replying in this post, as it is intended for ATT employees, not public reponse.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

A.  Verbal agreement vs. TOS.  Not sure that would hold up in a court of law.

B.  Once an account is turned over to a collection agency, it's tough to get it removed.  Since they bought the debt, sometimes you can negotiate with them.

3.  The only advice anyone here can offer is for you to send a Private Message  to ATTCares and see if they can help.  It's a long shot.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

@atandtnever wrote:

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. He has advised me from start. He actually asked me to call ATT first which i did and then that I post here after I got my response on the phone from collections.

He said in between the calls, my wife's condition, and ATT keeping the equipment that was returned, a civil case would close quickly. Looks like that's where I'm headed next.

If you are not with AT&T please refrain from replying in this post, as it is intended for ATT employees, not public reponse.

FYI:  This is a peer-to-peer forum and as such is not monitored by AT&T employees.  We are customers too offering advice.

Let your attorney know that Sec. 11 of the TOS (link above) deals with Dispute Resolution and Binding Arbitration.  He/she will find that helpful since they charge by the hour.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Sirs:

Can you be so kind tell me why my internet charges went up? (Monthly Charges May 07 - Jun 06, 2018)

Waiting for your prompt reply, I remain

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have had nothing but problems eversiever I signed up for AT&T. I used to have Xfinity and never had any problems. I wish I had never switched.

First of all the DirecTV install made all wires on ground instead of under gutters. Even up under doors where they could be tripped over. I had to get them to come out and fix and now there are holes all around perimeter of the house.

I let that go, however, after that my bill just kept getting higher each month. I continued to pay, but started making regular calls that no one has time for.

My wifi was always slow so a representative sent a better wifi box to me and I sent back old one within one week.

I waited a whole billing cycle and was not charged so I threw receipt away. Now for past few months I have been charged for the box that I returned and for first two months was told they found my box and credit was on way. It never came.

I spoke with a manager this morning and she said I didn't return box.

I am so frustrated and I plan to use my voice on every single occasion I can about all of this scam. 

Do you not make enough money AT&T that you have to steal and scam your own customers?

I've read all over the internet my exact same story!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.