dan-in-TX's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 1:56 AM

What is my DVR capable of?

I had a premisis tech at the house today troubleshooting a line quality issue. I asked him a couple questions about my DVR, a VIP-1216, that he didn't know the answers to. He even went so far as to say he knows nothing about it because they're not trained on them so they wouldn't have to spend 3 or 4 hours at a customer's house teaching them all the features available.

Anyway, the one question I asked him was if I was supposed to be able to watch stuff recorded on the DVR on my computer. He said that according to the advertising I'm supposed to be able to watch those recordings, but he didn't know how. When I log into U-verse online, I can see the recordings on the DVR, and schedule new ones, but I can find no way to play those recorded shows.

Is this supposed to be possible, or not?

Are there any sites out there that can give me a good run down of the features on it? I'd like to know if what I received is what was advertised and sold to me.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dan-in-TX - It is not possible to connect a U-verse TV signal to your computer and select a channel to watch (maybe some day).

It is possible to connect the video output of a u-verse DVR/STB to a computer to watch or store a program. Even select & watch the channel from any computer (slingbox connected to an STB).

It is possible to watch selected shows on your computer via a browser accessing uverse.com or many other web sites. Shows range from free to anyone to only if you are subscribed to TV at the same level. Similar limited access is available for apps for some phones & tablets.

I believe the reality of the "watch recorded shows on the computer" is - If the show you have recorded on the DVR happens to be the same as one available on uverse.com you will be able to watch the uverse.com  copy. You will not be watching the DVR copy (if that matters). Of course, if it is not on uverse.com or some other site you will not be able to  watch it on your computer.  It's the model T of DVR access - You can have any color as long as it's black - You can watch any recording as long as it is available elsewhere.

When access is opened up to watching live U-verse TV channels on your computer, you would be able to watch recordings, as well. They are on channel 9999.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

There is an update to the uverse app and you can now watch live tv on your I-pad.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Erhodes64 - Thanks for posting the new feature availability. I looked it up in the app store & see that it is release 3.0 issued 9/29.

It does have a live TV button, which produces a channel/program listing that allows live viewing of what is currently applied to that U-verse channel. It is, however, only a subset of the full channel list.

Everything has to start small & build up. I suppose we can look forward adding more channels as agreements are reached. In the meantime, it is a valuable feature only if the show you want to watch is available.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

Erhodes64 - Thanks for posting the new feature availability. I looked it up in the app store & see that it is release 3.0 issued 9/29.

It does have a live TV button, which produces a channel/program listing that allows live viewing of what is currently applied to that U-verse channel. It is, however, only a subset of the full channel list.

Everything has to start small & build up. I suppose we can look forward adding more channels as agreements are reached. In the meantime, it is a valuable feature only if the show you want to watch is available.

And hopefully they push the love to Android.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Copy/paste from a post by Beckyww -

Just crossed my desk:

All About... Live TV From Your Device
What is it? U-verse TV subscribers will now be able to use the U-verse app or Uverse.com to tune into live TV programming. Please note: The type of access varies by network. Some networks have provided rights only within the home (member must be connected to residential gateway). Other networks are providing access both in and out of the home.

What networks are participating? We will launch with live access to approximately 108 channels. Of those, 25 will be available outside of the home. Sample channels that are participating:
Travel Channel
HGTV
Food Network
Showtime
Starz
Content is based on the subscription package. If the customer’s package does not include a particular channel, they will not be able to access it on the U-verse mobile app or through Uverse.com
Programming watched inside the home doesn’t count against the Customer’s number of streams

How does the customer access it? By signing in to uverse.com or the U-verse app. Access is authenticated by the customer’s log-in and password. This is no change from the current experience today for Live on Uverse.com or On Demand across platforms.
When does this launch?
U-verse App: Existing subscribers will need to update their app to the latest software release to receive these changes. New subscribers will receive the live TV feature with initial app download.
Uverse.com: Upon visiting the LIVE TV page (Uverse.com/Live) users will be encouraged to Sign-In and are then presented with the option to install a browser plugin that will help to identify the subscriber’s connection location.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks aviewer!  Saw that in another thread.  Cool!

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info, I got the update a few days ago but I hadn't looked at it until earlier today.  I just checked out the live tv feature and I was able to watch a show airing right now on my Ipad.  It is a little behind the live program, but it is  working.  Very cool AT&T, keep up the good work.  You may be slower than the other providers, but you do get there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.