Takosan's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 3:14 AM

VIP1225 box - recordings gone & remote slow at times

Greetings!

We recently got the U-Verse TV reinstated (hiatus of a year); previously used VIP1225 so got another VIP1225 installed. Looks new although don't know if it is a refurbished box or not.

Guesing I had about 20 programs recorded (mostly through series recording) in 5 days since installation. Today the recorded program went down to 2 and after a reboot (from menu), it went to zero recordings available Smiley Sad

After reading some threads here tonight, I have: (1) depressed reset button of the RG for 15 secs (2) unplugged the power of the sole VIP1225 for 30 secs. Unfortunately neither helped

I don't know if this means anything but there is 1 program listed I see the recorded program listing through the web but the actual DVR box UI says there are none.

Another peculiar thing I've seen is the random slowdown of menu operations. Some times it wouldn't register traversing of the menu for a good 5 secs and post-reboot still exhibits the same random slowdown/no response.

Do I have a bad box and need to have it replaced? Or are there anything else to try?

Thank you!

Rob

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Try this.

NOTE: You will lose any and all RECORDINGS using these steps

Follow these steps to test your DVR.

1. Press the down arrow and OK keys at the same time on the front of the receiver as the receiver restarts (during the time that the Link, HD and Record lights are still on) until a gear appears on the screen (approx. 10 seconds).

2. If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the disaster recovery process (Step 1).

3. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, proceed with the next step. Wait for 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete its rebooting process. Leave your TV on and just wait for the box to reboot.

4. If the rebooting process works normally it will go back to the U-verse shows/programs. If not, you will be seeing a RED X on your tv.

5. That means that the receiver/dvr just failed to reset its configuration.

6. If that happened, please call U-verse Tech Support {Personal content removed for safety} to schedule for a Premise Technician, to replace the DVR.

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

you need to reset the DVR or Set top, not the RG. Unplug the box in question, then while powering back up, it should perform a soft reset, which should work.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, I did that too. First was the RG & then the VIP1225.

Something dawned on me late last night after I posted the initial inquiry. Does the web-based GUI for managing recordings get realtime info from the DVR as to what it is doing?

The reason I ask is because I went back into the web-based GUI and tried to delete the one "phantom" recording that shows on the web-based GUI but not on DVR itself; DVR, even after a soft boot, is still showing "no recordings". To my surprise it didn't let me delete it because it was "supposedly" still recording according to the web-based GUI. I had to first hit the "stop recording" button that the web-based GUI popped up & then it let me delete it. I started wondering about how the website and the DVR communicates as this job that showed up only in the web-based GUI was a recording that started shortly before the DVR lost power mid-last week due to a storm.

I'm contemplating if I should register a case with support so that if it is indeed a bad VIP1225 I can get it replaced. Or if it was an isolated case I would like to understand how the data is exhcanged between the website & DVR ...

Thank you.

Rob

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you very much! I just performed your instructions & at least I know the DVR itself is okay. It looks like something was really wrong with the disk because before the DR it had no recordings & 40 hrs of free SD space. After the DR it shows 219 hrs of free SD space. Thank you again for the DR instrcutions - very much appreciated.

As far as the communications between DVR & website, am I correct in assuming that it is realtime? Also would you know which device overules in case of conflict?

Rob

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

There can be a slight time lag, but it should not be a long time. I would give it one or two minutes to reflect either on WRA, or on your box.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.