Using a TV with autosensing video inputs.

Highlighted
Tutor

Using a TV with autosensing video inputs.

I'm using a TV  that uses autosensing technology to detect when a device is powered on and giving a video feed.  My problem is att uverse seems to think I always want to watch the screensaver.  I am using the non dvr box through hdmi at the 720p setting. No idea what the deal is with always sending a video feed, and it's got to be wasting tons of power by always running the video card.(it's warm to the touch when powered off, that's not right).  I need a way to turn the box off, or at least the constant video feed without unplugging it because I have 5 other devices plugged in that do not have that problem. 

I can turn the feature off within the tv btw, but I don't want to.  I've never had a device do this to me before in the 3 years I've had this TV so PLEASE HELP! 

Message 1 of 3 (727 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fixme
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Using a TV with autosensing video inputs.

This is a new example of the need to have the ability to optionally select one functionality or another or another functionality.

I always thought it was a great idea for U-uverse to show that the STB was asleep & use the OK button to turn it on. This is effective when people get stuck with the TV on & the STB asleep.

But, I see the beauty of your  situation where you only need to turn on the source device & the TV automatically comes on  &b connects to the correct device.

The only thing I can think of is an HDMI switcher with remote that would allow you to interrupt the HDMI path from the STB. Here is one as an example. I have no experience with this equipment. If you like the idea you can search around for anotrher one.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Remote-Support/dp/B00264NZWS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=13009...

So, you can continue to operate as you are now, but need the switcher remote to activate the U-verse input.

Or, you can turn off your TV feature and go to a universal remote, such as Harmony 700 to provide full control.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3 (698 Views)
Tutor

Re: Using a TV with autosensing video inputs.

Thanks for the quick response. Looking into your remote idea I saw that att offers an xbox bundle to watch through the console itself so I think I'm going to check that out. 

Message 3 of 3 (664 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.