kyousif's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, January 16th, 2014 7:42 PM

U-Verse Install Date 1/27/2014

Hello from Riverside CA,

Currently I am switching from Charter tv, phone and internet. Service has been relatively good. U-verse just hit my neighborhood about 2 weeks ago so I figured we would give it a shot since we have AT&T Wireless and some of the features of U-Verse seem really cool. I live in an old house with old inside phone wiring and an old Drop from the pole.

Currently have 4 tv's and 4 dvr stb on a coax network that was mickey moused by a charter vendor I guess you would call it. I have 5 splitters. Telephone gateway in 1 room, cable modem in another with a wireless router and several ethernet runs mickey moused by me ran under the carpets. I have a lot of gadgets like Roku 3 Roku 2, Vbox One, Xbox 360 Wii and Wii U so I try to keep those on a wired network and stuff like ipad and laptops on wireless.

I am getting U450 the max internet available to me 24mb internet and keeping 2 existing phone lines transferring to U-Verse 1 of which is a dedicated fax. 1 whdvr 3 wired stb and 1 wireless stb. I will use the wireless stb to add a tv to the Kitchen.

Questions

How much say do I have for the installation where things are placed  and where things are run?

As far as requesting the technician running new coax or cat5e or 6 or using my existing coax?

From what I have read and preferring an all ethernet network cat5e or 6 is better then a coax. Is this true?

Will the installation include an all ethernet network or is this something I need to do beforehand or pay extra for?

Do I need to pre purchase extra 8 or 5 port switches or will the tech have them as needed?

I am hearing some issues with VOIP and Fax Machines but as far as I know that is what I have with Charter and Fax works fine.

My wife is a DVR junkie. She is the primary watcher and recorder and that is in our room. Our room has the heaviest usage. Would this be the best location for the whdvr? Currently we are limited to 2 recordings then we cannot watch the cable box and have to switch from cable to tv and use the tv tuner.

I appreciate any advice and feedback. Thank you all so much. This is a great community.

Sincerely,

Ken

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Thank You. I will be running cat 6 cabling prior to the install date.

I have 2 Netgear GS105 and 3 Netgear GS108 switches. I am planning to place the RG in the back of the house where the main point of entry is for the NID.

Should I have dedicated switch for data and a dedicated switch for iptv or does it matter?

I was planning on running 2 cat6 cables to each location 1 for Data and 1 for TV. Or should I just run 1 cat6 and use a switch at each location?

Will I need to use an AT&T WAP for the Wireless STB or will my wireless N router work?

Thank You again

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T kept me in the loop. Technician was very good and friendly. Install took less then 2 hours. Actually 2 outside techs were in my area a few days before they asked if it was ok for them to check my line early. I had just gotten home from work. I was like sure. They put in a new drop in no time. Its only been 1 week but I truly am enjoying my U-Verse services. Only hiccup was porting my 2 phone numbers from charter which didn't port until 1/29 heres the kicker they kept rejecting it for my zipcode AT&T used my 5 digit and charter had my 5 digit + 4 so once AT&T added the + 4 it went through. Thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.