Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Turning DVR on/off via web site

Highlighted
Contributor

Turning DVR on/off via web site

I'm a U-verse TV and Internet customer currently subscribing to the U200 TV package. If I downgrade to U-basic, I have the option to turn the existing DVR off via the website (to save on the $15 equipment fee).

Does this simply disable the DVR's recording functionality, effectively turning it into a plain wired receiver, or does this require a physical exchange for another device?

My most  important question is this: If the DVR receiver stays in place (but is prevented from making further recordings), can existing recordings still be played back or will they be lost/inaccessible?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Turning DVR on/off via web site

The DVR and STBs are two different pieces of equipment.  If you downgrade to U-Basic you will need to turn in the DVR.  If the DVR remains in your home, you will have to pay the monthly lease fee. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Hi,

the answer is incorrect and also missed my question completely. I've had U-basic before and of course I was still able to keep the DVR while I did. I know there's an extra fee to keep it.

My question was about the upgrade/downgrade process on the website: when U-basic is selected, a switch labeled "DVR on/off" appears. I wanted to know what the switch does, exactly, as this is not explained at all. (Remotely disable DVR functionality, or create an order for a tech to come out and physically replace the DVR with a plain set-top box?)

Message 3 of 4
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by NEJaybird
‎03-20-2017 2:25 AM

The DVR can stay in place as a receiver but the classification change will disable the DVR and all related DVR functality such as Pause, Rewind, Fast Forward, and Play on live TV. Thus Ubasic is strictly live TV only without the extra $15 DVR as second receiver.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support