indieROCKE's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, October 17th, 2010 11:17 PM

Trouble with 5.1 audio going through Sony Google TV Blu-ray box to Sony Soundbar

Hi Guys,

I went out today and purchased a Sony Google TV Blu-ray unit and added it to my living room setup. Before I had the Cisco uVerse box hooked into the HDMI in port of my Sony Soundbar System and from there it went out to my Sony Bravia XBR TV HDMI input and I've never had an issue with getting the 5.1 to come through. Now it's connected into the Sony Google TV unit from the Cisco box and then goes from that HDMI out into the soundbar unit then HDMI to TV and now it wont do 5.1 anymore. I have to go into the audio options of the uVerse box and select stereo to get sound on HD channels now. is there anything I could be doing wrong that would causes this to happen? Will the audio not pass through from box to box or does it have to go straight the soundbar? I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Indie

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

From the specifications page on the Sony site:

HDMI Audio Input Signals: LPCM 2ch : Yes (Up to 48kHz)

That means you will have to do one of two things:

• Set the U-Verse box to output 2.0 audio by going to Menu -> Options -> Audio/Language Options -> Digital Audio Output and set it to Stereo.
  • Send the audio output from the U-Verse box to the Soundbar using an independent HDMI or optical audio cable.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You will need to look at the settings on the Sony Google TV unit and see if there are options for audio passthrough or if it is doing some type of processing to the audio that the soundbar and the TV then don't recognize.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I didn't see anything for audio passthrough, but I'm not expert when it comes to surround sound setup. Here are the settings on the Google TV Blu-ray unit and what they are set at:

Audio (HDMI) set the output type for the audio signal from HDMI: Auto (other option available was PCM)

Audio output priority (set the jack type for audio equipment connection): HDMI (other option was Optical)

BD audio mix setting (set whether to mix interactive audio and output): On

Dolby Digital (set the Dolby Digital output signal from Digital Out): Dolby Digital (other option was Downmix PCM)

DTS (set the Dolby Digital output signal from Digital Out): DTS (other option was Downmix PCM)

Audio DRC (set the sound effect when playing a BD or DVD): Auto (others were Standard, TV mode, or Wide Range)

Downmix (apply the sound effect to the output audio signal): Surround (other was Stereo)

AV Sync (adjust the timing behavior between picture and sound): 0 msec

Sony Soundbar is basically set to Control HDMI ON and is Bravia Synced with the XBR TV.

When using the Blu-ray side of the Google TV box everything plays normally in 5.1 coming from the box just as it would coming from the PS3 that is also hooked up to the Soundbar on the BD HDMI input. Google TV Blu-ray box is connected to the SAT HDMI input where the uVerse Cisco box was originally hooked up, but is now connected the the HDMI in of the Google TV Blu-ray box.

My setup is connected just like Method 1 in this PDF on Sony's support site: http://esupport.sony.com/docs/nszgt1_AdditionalPaper_FINAL_4270510111%20p_c3.pdf

Hope that helps... again I appreciate your help and any other advise out there. Thanks! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I am having the same problem.  My AV reciever is a Yamah.  I run HDMI cable from AT&T uverse box to SOny Blure Ray INternet TV device.  From SOny device I run optical connection to my Yamaha surround sound reciever.  When watching TV or recorded DVR shows the sound randomly shuts off, especially during rewind and fast forward while watching dvr recordings.  I either have to reidn so that the dvr "catches up" which doesn't always work, or i have to go to the Sony device and turn the optical sound connection off and then back on to reset it.  I have read on other blogs that this is an AT&T problem.  Nothing I do, including the suggestions above, seem to work -- AT&T and SOny suport are clueless.  I am really frustrated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.