Rockingkitty's profile

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 6:01 AM

Total home DVR Phase 2

i just got an Update to my boxes and I can erase and schedule recordings to the DVR from my back bedroom Hooray

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

15 years ago

It really sounds like your account or vrad port is not optioned correctly if you do not have the update in St Louis by now. Seems you have all the bases covered on the power side.

Hope the tech gets you fixed. Sometimes just the threat to leave will get a problem fixed.  It does sound like you are haunted good luck and may this be your last service call.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

15 years ago

I got Phase 2 overnight last night. 95834 Sacramento (Natomas) Calif. I also got the audio settings menu at the same time, set it to surround sound and verified 5.1 is working by watching an HD movie. The AV reciever I send the optical signal to lit up Dolby Digital just like it always has. When I switched to an SD program it switched back to PCM stereo. Glad I didn't have to futz around or wait additional days for it to come.
Message Edited by jkramer5 on 07-03-2009 01:12 PM

Scholar

• 

264 Messages

15 years ago

@Escapee wrote:

It really sounds like your account or vrad port is not optioned correctly if you do not have the update in St Louis by now. Seems you have all the bases covered on the power side.

Hope the tech gets you fixed. Sometimes just the threat to leave will get a problem fixed.  It does sound like you are haunted good luck and may this be your last service call.

The problem is that I have the update on all my STBs but my new DVR won't get it. The old one did, but the new one refuses. Then, after taking a half day off work (again, for the second day in a row) I'm told they will not be able to make the appointmen today. THey are "behind" and this is now my problem. Does anybody have a number of a human at AT&T who cares about customers? I'm sick of sending emails to people how don't care and talking to people on the phone who have no power to do anything (like the poo lady in Dallas who just called me to tell me my appointment would be missed).

This is ridiculous. And I will bite the head off anyone who tells me to "be patient" at this point :smileywink:

This is lousy customer service... I've wasted over ten hours on this issue between being on the phone and waiting at home for service. 

Message Edited by dzar on 07-03-2009 03:28 PM

Guru

• 

802 Messages

15 years ago

1-800-983-2811

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

15 years ago

camp80 wrote:
5.1 does not work for everyone over HDMI. Waiting for someone to give me an good answer as to why. My TV is a 42" Vizio 1080P. It worked 5.1 with HDMI when I had Direct TV, then worked with Optical for AT&T. Now the only way is to run through the home theater. I was hopeing that would not be the case.

Again, as stated in the other thread, the most likely explanation is that your TV does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI.  It may support 5.1 PCM audio over HDMI, but the U-Verse box will not send that type of audio.

Post the model number of your Vizio and we will attempt to confirm this.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

15 years ago

Phase 2 arrived here in Little Rock today, including 5.1 audio update (same day).

After changing the setting, I found out it was passing DD 5.1 thru HDMI in an unusual way:  Just to play around, I switched my HTIB to the TV input and found DD 5.1 coming in via optical from my Vizio TV; the only way it could get there is thru HDMI.  Until then, I had thought my Vizio limited HDMI to 2.0 sound, with DD 5.1 coming only from the ATSC/ClearQAM tuner.  Perhaps the problem was in my Comcast box instead, or else I hadn't really revisited the issue since the old Samsung set my Vizio replaced.

If I'd known my Vizio could do that a few weeks ago, perhaps I could have ditched that stupid optical switch without having to replace a 6-month-old Samsung HTIB (single optical input) with a Sony (2 optical + 3 HDMI); I could have kept all the HDMIs going to the Vizio as before, then had just the one optical cable from Vizio to Sammy.  (But then, I wouldn't have lossless Blu-ray audio from my PS3 like I do now.  And the Sony sounds better than the Sammy even on DD/DTS 5.1.)

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

15 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@camp80 wrote:
5.1 does not work for everyone over HDMI. Waiting for someone to give me an good answer as to why. My TV is a 42" Vizio 1080P. It worked 5.1 with HDMI when I had Direct TV, then worked with Optical for AT&T. Now the only way is to run through the home theater. I was hopeing that would not be the case.

Again, as stated in the other thread, the most likely explanation is that your TV does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI.  It may support 5.1 PCM audio over HDMI, but the U-Verse box will not send that type of audio.

Post the model number of your Vizio and we will attempt to confirm this.

He may need to change a setting in his Vizio's menus to allow DD from the optical output.  This is how mine works (VO32LF), but many other Vizios work the same way:

• Press the "Menu" key on your remote (which may or may not be the "V" key on the directional pad--it is on mine).
  • Right-arrow to the Audio menu (mine has a mic icon).
  • Down-arrow to Digital Audio Out, then left-arrow or right-arrow till it displays "Dolby Digital".
  • Press the "Last" button repeatedly (or with some models, "Exit" once) to get out of the menu.

With this setting, my TV will receive DD 5.1 thru HDMI.  With both TV stereo speakers & HTIB turned on, I'm hearing sound thru both, and the HTIB lights clearly state DD 5.1.

Message Edited by RBBrittain on 07-03-2009 05:37 PM

Scholar

• 

152 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks to SomeJoe and RBBrittain. I switched my options on my Vizio and now have 5.1 comming over HDMI. Love the new update and thanks to both of you for your help.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

15 years ago

camp80 wrote:
Thanks to SomeJoe and RBBrittain. I switched my options on my Vizio and now have 5.1 comming over HDMI. Love the new update and thanks to both of you for your help.

Cool!   I was afraid that your TV wouldn't support it at all, so I was thinking you might be in a pickle.  Glad it was just a config setting.

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 07-03-2009 08:54 PM

(edited)

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

15 years ago

@camp80 wrote:

Thanks a lot; happy to help.

I finally did test HDMI audio from the STB to my Sony HT-SS2300 HTIB.  However, changing channels interrupted HDMI sound for ~2 sec, vs. ~1 sec for optical whether from STB or TV.  It's probably an issue with the HTIB's handling of HDMI audio, since it doesn't appear when you use HDMI to the TV & optical from there.

Optical directly from the STB was slightly faster than from the TV; also, the latter popped occasionally when changing from a PCM channel to a DD channel.  Therefore, I went back to running HDMI from STB to TV & optical from STB to HTIB.  Unlike Blu-ray, there's no quality advantage for HDMI audio vs. optical audio; it's DD 5.1 either way.  And I haven't heard any drop-outs on any 5.1 output; the only drop-outs I heard even before this update were on PCM 2.0 audio.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.