Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Tivo compatible with U-verse?

Contributor

Tivo compatible with U-verse?

This week AT&T began laying fiber cable in our neighborhood.  When the project is done we will be able to sign up for FAST (1000Mbps) internet service and also U-verse TV.  I am hearing conflicting information about whether or not our Tivo DVR will be compatible with U-verse?   For many years we have had Time Warner Cable (now Spectrum) and since 2000 we have always had various models of Tivo.  Presently we use a cable card acquired through Time Warner to enable our Tivo to work with TW cable.  Works great and never a problem.  Will AT&T also make a cable card available so that we can continue to use our Tivo with U-verse?  I firmly believe Tivo is superior to all other DVRs and would not consider switching to the AT&T DVR.  If we can continue using our Tivo we will definitely switch to U-verse.  If not we will stick with Time Warner (Spectrum.)

Message 1 of 6
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎07-20-2017 7:15 PM

Re: Tivo compatible with U-verse?

No, TIVO (cable card) is not compatible with Uverse IPTV.

When the fiber service becomes available you may wish to consider ATT Fiber internet with DirecTv Now streaming service which should have a cloud based DVR by year end.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

I'm in the same boat and I completely agree I would be willing to switch but I do not want to give up my TiVo!!!
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Yes, same for me. So sick of Comcast, but I love TiVo

Message 4 of 6
Employee

@GAComcastStinks

"It (Tivo) is hailed for its ability to enable viewers to pause live TV and record programs to watch on their own schedule. It works in conjunction with your cable subscription. Many consumers find that it remains a great value and alternative to the DVR services offered by cable companies."

Please note the above ...

It works in conjunction with your cable subscription.... Alternative to DVR services offered by cable companies.

Uverse is IPTV not cable, ATT is not a cable company. If you wish to keep TiVo then you wish to stay with your cable provider.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

What a load of crap. AT&T decided it wasn't a cable company, so it neatly bypassed FCC regulations that required them to support 3rd party hardware with a cable card. I move into an apartment building that only offers uverse and/or directTV, so my Tivo box is now relegated to WiFi channels (Netflix/YouTube/Hulu, etc.) plus my library of recorded content.

Not only is AT&T not a "cable" company, they apparently aren't even an internet company since they offer no internet video content either. My my my my. Roku here I come.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support