jedibui's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 10th, 2014 3:37 PM

Television signal has been lost with 3rd party network switch

i want to move my att uverse STB off of the 2Wire gateway and on to a 3rd party network switch (Cisco SG300 and/or Asus RT-AC66).  i can confirm that when connected to the 3rd party switches i have full connectivity to the internet.

i get signal and a video feed for 10-15 seconds and then the signal drops and then get the "Television signal has been lost." screen.  

if i change the channel (doesnt matter HD or SD) i get a video feed again for another 10-15 seconds and then the signal drops again.  i could repeat this over and over again.  this happens on both switches.

i have spoken to a coworker and he has his STB directly connected to non-ATT gateways with no issue.

is there a special setting/config that is required for uverse STB to work on non-ATT gateways?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

9 years ago

@jedibui@  wrote:

i want to move my att uverse STB off of the 2Wire gateway and on to a 3rd party network switch (Cisco SG300 and/or Asus RT-AC66).  i can confirm that when connected to the 3rd party switches i have full connectivity to the internet.

i get signal and a video feed for 10-15 seconds and then the signal drops and then get the "Television signal has been lost." screen.  

if i change the channel (doesnt matter HD or SD) i get a video feed again for another 10-15 seconds and then the signal drops again.  i could repeat this over and over again.  this happens on both switches.

i have spoken to a coworker and he has his STB directly connected to non-ATT gateways with no issue.

is there a special setting/config that is required for uverse STB to work on non-ATT gateways?

The STB will not operate properly (or at all) with a router or "managed" switch between the STB and the 2WIRE gateway.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

The ASUS RT-AC66 is not a switch, it is a router.  Not only that, it is a Wireless Router.

The Cisco SG300 line of Managed Switches contain a feature they call "Layer 3 static routing" and also state they support "IPv6."  The first concerns me because Layer 3 is not the layer at which Switches are supposed to work, they are supposed to be Layer 2 devices.  Having to state that you support IPv6 would mean, again, that you're playing in Layer 3.  Any switch should support IPv6 as well as they support IPv4 because, well, it should be transparent.  Having said that, IGMPv3 snooping is a common feature in enterprise level switches that does involve peeking at the Layer 3 data in packets and reacting accordingly.  IGMPv3 is a feature that allows a switch to route IP Multicast packets to legs that have made an IGMPv3 subscription request.  Without this, the switch either has to route multicast packets to all legs, or block them entirely.  The Cisco SG300 spec sheet says that this device does support IGMPv3 snooping.

So, back to the beginning...

What your symptoms indicate is that the multicast stream that your box is supposed to use for the sustained video (after a short 10-20 unicast stream used to allow the IGMPv3 subscribe to work its way through the system expires) isn't getting there.  Normally this happens because your intervening router has either blocked the IGMPv3 request going up the chain, or because it doesn't know to route the multicast packets out to the requesting channel.

To add insult to injury, most consumer wireless routers handle multicast traffic by slowing down their output rate (reduced bandwidth) to try to ensure loss-free transmission (since multicast and retries don't mix) and broadcast that multicast traffic on WiFi.  Which means other traffic suffers in competition.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.