Explore & discover

Helpful Links

TV has jumped to live TV...

ACE - Professor

TV has jumped to live TV...

Does anyone still get this error?

 

Here's an old thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/DVR-scheduling-issues/m-p/4056124#M59429

 

Here's a photo:

20140827_234543.jpeg

 

 

 

My DVR is a 1225. My extra STB is a wireless. I have cat-5 going from the outside of the house to the RG and coax going elsewhere. I *think* it's cat-5 from the RG to the wireless transponder (which then feeds the wireless STB.)

 

I have no way to trigger this bug...it just happens. Unless I'm recording or watching the stream on the other box, when this bug happens, it loses whatever was previously watched...so I can't back up.

 

And yes, this photo is off the main TV which is the wireless STB.

 

 

And no, I was not watching or recording any other shows and am not scheduled to record any other channel for three more hours. But...even if I was, why does it need to jump ahead? It seems as if any other provider would keep that channel on a delay which would allow me to FF through commercials, even if another channel is about to be recorded.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,810 Views
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...

I have it happen on occassion.  Don't know why but it is annoying.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...

The TV that displays this message has lost communication with the DVR, most likely due to wireless communication issues, though it could be cabling to your DVR, especially if coax.  Hard to tell without digging through your RG's stat pages.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...

I also have this issue every now and then.  I never had it with my original DVR 1225.  I got an upgrade to a 2250 for additional storage.  Since then I've had this happen several times.  I notice it most from the wired STB in the BR.  It typically happens when I notice general slowness on the STB.  I checked the memory in use the last time it happened and it was at 95%.  If I reboot the STB things speed up but only for a few hours and then I'm right back to 90 to 95% in use so I stopped rebooting becuase it doesn't really do anything except for a few hours.

 

When the STB is slow, I also see where button depressions on the remote don't seem to do what the butoon push is supposed to.  I have hit FF on live TV to get thru a commercial and had it do nothing, or worse yet change the channel.  Sometimes it will even jump to the current live stream instead of forwarding and allowing me to hit play to resume.

 

I have always thought alot of these probelms are memory related because I don't have any issues until it gets above 85% or so.

Message 4 of 11
Teacher

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...

   Maybe its because, you can only backtrack 90mins of live TV .. so if you watch TV then pause for 30mins then play the show thats fine, then later on u change the channel thats also fine, live TV cashe is gone, starts over. But, if u pause for 30mins, watch some, then pause another 30 mins watch some, then another 30 mins, then im not sure what the DVR will do at that point. Proably the error message u are getting.

 ... I'm not sure, but I guess, did u previously pause this show for more then 90 mins ?

Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@MikeStrider wrote:

   Maybe its because, you can only backtrack 90mins of live TV .. so if you watch TV then pause for 30mins then play the show thats fine, then later on u change the channel thats also fine, live TV cashe is gone, starts over. But, if u pause for 30mins, watch some, then pause another 30 mins watch some, then another 30 mins, then im not sure what the DVR will do at that point. Proably the error message u are getting.

 ... I'm not sure, but I guess, did u previously pause this show for more then 90 mins ?


This is not MY experience.  I've paused a program (or DH has), left it for a bit, maybe 30 mins. and it will automatically "Jump to live TV".

 

I'll agree with BeeBee, it generally (only?) happens on the STBs and both of those are wireless so there could be some correlation there.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@MikeStrider wrote:

   Maybe its because, you can only backtrack 90mins of live TV .. so if you watch TV then pause for 30mins then play the show thats fine, then later on u change the channel thats also fine, live TV cashe is gone, starts over. But, if u pause for 30mins, watch some, then pause another 30 mins watch some, then another 30 mins, then im not sure what the DVR will do at that point. Proably the error message u are getting.

 ... I'm not sure, but I guess, did u previously pause this show for more then 90 mins ?


The buffer is only 60 minutes.  Once the buffer has filled, the oldest part of the buffer will be lost to make room for the new content.  It used to automatically unpause when the paused point got to the oldest end of the buffer, but I'm not sure if it still does that.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@JefferMC wrote:

@MikeStrider wrote:

   Maybe its because, you can only backtrack 90mins of live TV .. so if you watch TV then pause for 30mins then play the show thats fine, then later on u change the channel thats also fine, live TV cashe is gone, starts over. But, if u pause for 30mins, watch some, then pause another 30 mins watch some, then another 30 mins, then im not sure what the DVR will do at that point. Proably the error message u are getting.

 ... I'm not sure, but I guess, did u previously pause this show for more then 90 mins ?


The buffer is only 60 minutes.  Once the buffer has filled, the oldest part of the buffer will be lost to make room for the new content.  It used to automatically unpause when the paused point got to the oldest end of the buffer, but I'm not sure if it still does that.  


Yes, after 60 mins., the program will start playing and one loses the ability to RR past that point.

 

More than once, I've paused a program to answer a phone call and if the call is longer than an hour (my SIL), I will hear the TV come on and start playing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 11
ACE - Professor

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@JefferMC wrote:

The TV that displays this message has lost communication with the DVR, most likely due to wireless communication issues, though it could be cabling to your DVR, especially if coax.  Hard to tell without digging through your RG's stat pages.


 

So you're saying it's probably one of those typical "bad wiring" issues and a tech should be sent out?

 

I tried to install the RealTime app, but apparently it won't run on Windows 8.1. The installer failed. I could try again on Widows 7.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11
ACE - Professor

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@BeeBeeSA wrote:

I also have this issue every now and then.  I never had it with my original DVR 1225.  I got an upgrade to a 2250 for additional storage.  Since then I've had this happen several times.  I notice it most from the wired STB in the BR.  It typically happens when I notice general slowness on the STB.  I checked the memory in use the last time it happened and it was at 95%.  If I reboot the STB things speed up but only for a few hours and then I'm right back to 90 to 95% in use so I stopped rebooting becuase it doesn't really do anything except for a few hours.

 

When the STB is slow, I also see where button depressions on the remote don't seem to do what the butoon push is supposed to.  I have hit FF on live TV to get thru a commercial and had it do nothing, or worse yet change the channel.  Sometimes it will even jump to the current live stream instead of forwarding and allowing me to hit play to resume.

 

I have always thought alot of these probelms are memory related because I don't have any issues until it gets above 85% or so.


 

Right around 700-900 hours after a reset, my boxes sometimes like to slow down. A reset fixes it. I've had it get so slow (around 900 hours) that it crashes and resets on its own.

 

I'm also struggling to figure out why this is still happening all these years later.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: TV has jumped to live TV...


@baseballisback wrote:

@JefferMC wrote:

The TV that displays this message has lost communication with the DVR, most likely due to wireless communication issues, though it could be cabling to your DVR, especially if coax.  Hard to tell without digging through your RG's stat pages.


 

So you're saying it's probably one of those typical "bad wiring" issues and a tech should be sent out?

 

I tried to install the RealTime app, but apparently it won't run on Windows 8.1. The installer failed. I could try again on Widows 7.


Sorry, @baseballisback , I had lost track of this thread until I got a reminder "elsewhere."  Bad wiring or momentary wireless interference.  Hard to say with a wireless box.  UVrealtime will install on 8.1, but you have to go to winpcap.org and install it separately, and then install UVrealtime (which will see winpcap installed and not try to install it).

I don't agree with the suggestion to stick the DVR on your least used TV for this reason; I have it on my most used TV so that DVR functions work most reliably on the TV used most often (see "The Fallacies of Network Computing"). OTOH, I don't use HD much, so the HD streams issue is not an issue for me.

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support