For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hscoggins's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 3:19 AM

Suggestion: store the scheduling on a remote server

I'm getting a replacement DVR tomorrow, to replace the one we've had for several years now. When we install the new one, all of our scheduling will be gone, and we'll have to go through and reschedule everything. It'll be a real pain, because some of the series we have scheduled aren't currently being broadcast, and so we won't be able to schedule them, and will have to keep a sharp eye out for when they come back on in the fall. This could easily be avoided if the scheduling were kept on a remote server. Or perhaps it could be temporarily backed up remotely so that it could be restored on a new DVR. It is certainly possible to do this, since I can access my DVR from here, and view my scheduled recordings.

In addition, of course, all my recorded shows will also go with the old box, but that's a separate problem. It was once again explained to me that there's no way to transfer those recorded shows to the new box. I told the tech to give me a screwdriver and 45 minutes, and I could transfer them. He laughed and said he'd pretend he didn't hear that. But the simple fact is that, in the second decade of the 21st century, it's ludicrous to still be dealing with silly problems like this. Transferring data from one drive to another - which is all we're talking about - is a simple operation. So why do all the TV providers pretend that it's some sort of insurmountable problem?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

hscoggins - TG gives some standard navigation - Also include the channel up down to page.

What got me curious is that these are channels you selected. If you do not want to include the SD channels, why are they there?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

12 years ago

Um, guys, he said he can enter the channel number when viewing the favorites channel list, and he probably doesn't have the SD channels on his favorites.  He's just using the original method to maintain the favorites list.  When doing so you cannot enter a channel number to directly access a channel so that you can include/exclude it from the favorites list.  You can use channel up/down to skip one "page" at a time.

I do think TG's recommendation of using the ENTER button is the way to go.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

@sbriand wrote:

The problem with that, is that "Favorite" channels are saved on each separate receiver, where as there is only one DVR.

Yup.  I wish that you could do the Favorite setup on each box, via the PC, like the web remote.  Would be much faster.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

They're working on it, MS is the hold-out, LOL!

@dhascall wrote:

@sbriand wrote:

The problem with that, is that "Favorite" channels are saved on each separate receiver, where as there is only one DVR.

Yup.  I wish that you could do the Favorite setup on each box, via the PC, like the web remote.  Would be much faster.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.