hscoggins's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 3:19 AM

Suggestion: store the scheduling on a remote server

I'm getting a replacement DVR tomorrow, to replace the one we've had for several years now. When we install the new one, all of our scheduling will be gone, and we'll have to go through and reschedule everything. It'll be a real pain, because some of the series we have scheduled aren't currently being broadcast, and so we won't be able to schedule them, and will have to keep a sharp eye out for when they come back on in the fall. This could easily be avoided if the scheduling were kept on a remote server. Or perhaps it could be temporarily backed up remotely so that it could be restored on a new DVR. It is certainly possible to do this, since I can access my DVR from here, and view my scheduled recordings.

In addition, of course, all my recorded shows will also go with the old box, but that's a separate problem. It was once again explained to me that there's no way to transfer those recorded shows to the new box. I told the tech to give me a screwdriver and 45 minutes, and I could transfer them. He laughed and said he'd pretend he didn't hear that. But the simple fact is that, in the second decade of the 21st century, it's ludicrous to still be dealing with silly problems like this. Transferring data from one drive to another - which is all we're talking about - is a simple operation. So why do all the TV providers pretend that it's some sort of insurmountable problem?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@hscoggins wrote:

I'm getting a replacement DVR tomorrow, to replace the one we've had for several years now. When we install the new one, all of our scheduling will be gone, and we'll have to go through and reschedule everything. It'll be a real pain, because some of the series we have scheduled aren't currently being broadcast, and so we won't be able to schedule them, and will have to keep a sharp eye out for when they come back on in the fall. This could easily be avoided if the scheduling were kept on a remote server. Or perhaps it could be temporarily backed up remotely so that it could be restored on a new DVR. It is certainly possible to do this, since I can access my DVR from here, and view my scheduled recordings.

Your statement is not correct,  All scheduled recordings are stored on a U-verse server; therefore, when you change DVR's, you do not need to re-setup your series and scheduled recordings.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

That's good to know. I'll verify that when I install the new box, and mark this as a solution.

Now if they'll just claw their way into the 21st century, and provide a way to transfer recorded programs...

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

12 years ago

Others will chime in but I can confirm that our scheduled recordings were in place when we had our DVR replaced.

I was pleasantly surprised.  Smiley Very Happy

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

The only way that they would be lost is if they have to "rebuild your account." That is done when there is a discrepancy between what your DVR shows in terms of number of recordings and what the AT&T servers are showing. That happened to me three years ago and we had to start reprogramming from scratch.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I can now confirm that the scheduling is retained when the DVR is replaced. However, I had not even thought about the Favorite channels; they get lost along with any recorded programs. And they're a HUGE pain to set up. That needs some work, too.

Guru

• 

778 Messages

12 years ago

The problem with that, is that "Favorite" channels are saved on each separate receiver, where as there is only one DVR.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

@sbriand wrote:

The problem with that, is that "Favorite" channels are saved on each separate receiver, where as there is only one DVR.

I guess that's a matter of how you look at it.  If you have several different people with their own stb, then having their "favorites" on that stb makes sense.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

12 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

@sbriand wrote:

I guess that's a matter of how you look at it.  If you have several different people with their own stb, then having their "favorites" on that stb makes sense.

DH has his faves set on the big TV in the LR and I have mine set on the STB in the office.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

@sbriand wrote:

I understand, but they could make it LOTS easier to set them up. For one thing, when setting your Favorites, you can't enter a channel number to jump to, as you can in the Guide, and when actually using the Favorites. You have to page down many pages just to get to the 1000s, where the HD channels start. Really dumb UI.

Anyone from AT&T listening?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@hscoggins wrote:

I understand, but they could make it LOTS easier to set them up. For one thing, when setting your Favorites, you can't enter a channel number to jump to, as you can in the Guide, and when actually using the Favorites. You have to page down many pages just to get to the 1000s, where the HD channels start. Really dumb UI.

Anyone from AT&T listening?

You can add or remove the current channel to Favorites as follows:

1. Press the ENTER (ZOOM) button in the lower right hand corner of the remote

2. Press OK to Add channel to favorites or Remove from favorites

You can also use the ENTER (ZOOM) button to access the Favorites Guide (View favorite channels).  When in the Favorites Guide, you should be able to enter a channel number to skip ahead just as you can in the full Guide.  I don't understand why you have been unable to do that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.