Helpful Links

Still having problems with my DVD player

Still having problems with my DVD player

I followed the steps in the programming guide as far as programming the remote to control the DVD player.  I got as far as turning the DVD player off with the remote, but I can't get it to turn on again. 

Even if I can get it turned on, I have no idea where to go to be in DVD mode to watch DVDs.  I hit DVD on the remote and then POWER, but nothing happened. 

PLEASE HELP!!!

Extremely Frustrated.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
ACE - Master

Re: Still having problems with my DVD player

jesstiger81 wrote:

I have the AT&T U-Verse screen up but the DVD music playing. 

If you are seeing the U-Verse screen and hearing the DVD audio, 1. your devices are not properly hooked up OR 2. you are not selecting the correct TV input.  How are your U-Verse box and DVD player connected to the set?

For example - Some friends bought a brand new $1500 LED TV and a Blu-ray player.  When I got to their place, the Picture was showing Comcast TV while the music from the DVD, was playing.  I fiddled with the TV remote (not the Comcast one) and found that you could select audio and video separately.  Once I assigned the Comcast video and audio together and the blu-ray a/v together, all was good.  Yes inputs can be confusing!  You can scroll through the TV's inputs on the U-Verse remote by pressing the TV button (upper left) and then video input (or similar) on the right hand side toward the top.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 17
ACE - Expert

dhascall has made some good suggestions that have led to progress. I learned a couple things here that I was not previously aware of.

I had not previously heard of selecting video & audio seperately. That is something to be aware of the possibility.

The second thing is probably still just a theory - I think seeing the U-verse blue screen and the DVD audio is a result of plugging the DVD player into the u-verse STB. The various occurrances of the jacks are multipled in the STB, so there is a physical connection between the STB/TV/DVD. Since there is no audio on the STB, the DVD audio comes through to the TV. The STB blue screen over-rides the video from the DVD. OR, maybe different jacks (composite/component)

I would like to add a few suggestions (some emphasize what has already been suggested.

Never connect  another input device (like a DVD) to an STB.

While trying to get it connected, use the remote for the original devices. After it is working try to add the devices to the u-verse remote,

If you want HD for both STB and DVD you need to connect each to different TV inputs by HDMI or component(three RCA jacks for video & two for audio). If you do not need HD then use the composite video (yellow RCA jack) and two red/white for audio.

Be careful  not to mix up any of these connections.

once connected to different inputs on the TV they can be selected by TV menu

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 17
ACE - Expert

Your TV description is a big help. If you tell me make & model I will look for manual on line.

You want the DVR and the DVD to each be plugged into the TV individually. Do mot plug DVD into DVR,

The DVD will use one of the yellow/red/white jacks.

Was u-verse hooked up COAX when installed? This is a good connection.

With this connection U-verse is on Chan 3 and the DVD is on video input. You select  which input on your TV by an AV button or menu or (maybe) chan 0.

If the two sets of jacks on the TV are NOT wired together you could use one for the DVR and one for the DVD and select which video input  on the TV.

If they are wired together best stick with COAX for the DVR.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 17

All Replies
Highlighted
Master

What's funny aviewer as soon as I saw the OP had a SDTV I knew exactly what the problem was and wrote a reply. It said about the exactly same thing yours did as far as the cabling goes and don't connect any equipment to the RG. So I checked the thread right before posting, here you had already beat me to the punch, so I deleted my reply.

You are either waay too fast or I'm waaay to slow. Probably the later. Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, would be nice if the OP (original poster) came back so we could close this case on the remote not working. Smiley Wink

BTW, it would have helped solve this problem quicker if the OP said he had a SDTV to begin with. Sometimes it seems like users may be a little embarrassed they don't have a HDTV so they don't open up. They shouldn't and I watch a SDTV down my basement all the time. It's whatever you have, and can afford, for us trying to help troubleshoot problems.

Hey jesstiger81, come on back so we can try to fix your remote problems!

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 16 of 17
Contributor

This have really helped me....thanks for the constant feedback and questions
Message 17 of 17
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app on your device.
It allows you to troubleshoot in the palm of your hand - quickly and easily!
You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support