docbombay's profile

Guru

• 

1K Messages

Saturday, June 27th, 2015 4:08 PM

Sporadic HDMI Error/1005

Within the last two weeks, I have noticed an irregular occurrence of the above error while I am watching the TV connected to my VIP2250 DVR.  It does not occur when watching the TVs on STBs.  The error happens when watching live TV or recordings.  I know that the errors are occurring live rather than having been recorded, because the same recordings can be viewed without error on the STB TVs.  Sometimes, the error is just a rapid "blink" and the program resumes.  Other times, it blinks 2-3 times and the screeen will go black for a second or two, then resume.  Sill other times, the error will blink and the screen will go black until I restart the DVR.  This happpens very irregularly, and reboot of the DVR and RG (NVG589) have not solved the problem.  Of course, I don't know right away whether the problem has vanished because I have to wait for it to occur at random.  I have checked my connections; I'll note that the DVR is connected to the TV via HDMI, which has worked well for years.  So, it seems that either my DVR is going bad; or there is something wrong with my HDMI cord or connection.  I will probably just schedule a tech visit so everything can be checked, but does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?  Previous posts have discussed HDMI Error issues when turning on the TV, but mine occur mid-program. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

You know that the HDMI interface is a digital interface with an HDCP tag that comes from the TV saying - "I am not a recording device". If the DVR or STB does not see the tag at the right time on startup or (apparently) at various intervals it may block viewing.

Some people, witth apparently long cables used to prevent the problem with a shorter cable (less loss). Perhaps your TV is dropping the strength of the HDCP signal. You could have built up corrosion on the connector that could be removed by a few remove/reseat.

The basic fix of any of the various changes applied to the HDMI interface are to improve the viablity of the HDCP tag(which we have no way to measure). Also, we have no idea what is going on with the software looking for the tag.

The best thiing to do is to switch to the analog component cable to eliminate HDCP all together.

Years ago I used to be ready to jump between the two. Then I just used the HDMI. I think it was the previous rollout that introduced the fog or viel over the HDMI picture. i have been using component ever since.

Just be sure to remove the HDMI cable from the DVR side or it may still demand attention from the HDCP circuit & block your viewing.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

9 years ago

I just got off the phone with tech support, and they scheduled a tech visit for tomorrow morning.  My HDMI cable has been in place for several years without a problem, but I guess corrosion is a possibility since the length of the cable has not changed.  I was initially connected via component cables, but my recollection is that there was some issue with aspect ratio after an update, and the tech changed to HDMI and fixed whatever the problem was.  I still have component, so I'll probably just hook that up and see how things work since HDMI seems to be at least a part of the issue.  The DVR itself is several years old, so I suppose that could be a problem, too.  

Guru

• 

1K Messages

9 years ago

Just to follow up, I had a great tech visit this morning.  He thought the problem was the HDMI cable was the problem, and at first tried component cables.  Sure enough, the aspect ratio (as indicated by my TV) changed to 4:3.  But he then switched the HDMI input, the aspect ratio went back to 16:9, and I haven't seen the problem since.  Of course, the HDMI errors were sometimes as much as a day apart, so only time will tell.  The tech said that the most likely cause was the old HDMI cable itself, but to call him if the problem persists (gave me his cell number) and we'll look at other possible solutions.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@docbombay   Component only changed to 4x3 cause HDMI was still plugged in.  Easy to change the aspect ratio back to HD here:

menu>options>TV Screen resolution  choose 720p or 1080i, start the test and Save settings if it appears properly HD.

I gave up on HDMI after the black crush (some called it fog/haze) was on the 2250 I had and the 1225 I now have (funny Non-Destr Disaster Recovery fixes it, but next reboot brings it back).  When I had proper HDMI HD on the original 1216, component was almost exactly the same, just appeared a bit 'softer'.  Most couldn't even see it, but could here on my Panasonic plasma.

I'm happy to be on component, I did have a few HDMI errors and twice turned to 'snow' that needed a reboot to fix on the 1216, first 4-5 years. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

1K Messages

9 years ago

Hi, Chris--The aspect ratio adjustment in the menu worked fine when on component, but the TV itself still indicated a 4:3 ratio when the input button on the remote was pushed.  The tech said that could be a problem, so we went with HDMI.  But he left the component cables in place so I could easily switch if I wanted.  I've never had the "black crush" with HDMI (or I'm not sufficiently discerning to notice it), so the picture quality that I perceive is about the same with either HDMI or component.  Not knocking component, just that the new HDMI cable seems to have fixed things and the component seems to make the TV think the aspect ratio is wrong.  So I'll see how things go and keep my fingers crossed.  Thanks for the reply, nice to hear from you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.