houston01's profile

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

Saturday, November 13th, 2010 1:27 PM

Slingbox Preparation

I'm contemplating adding a Slingbox and am trying to confirm a couple of set-up issues:

Current set-up: DVR-STB is Motorola VIP 1225 hooked to TV via HDMI

Question 1:

Can the VIP 1225 simultaneously output to the HDMI and component or does it shut down HDMI when component is connected.

Question 2:

Any issues with the IR blaster that comes with the Slingbox.  ie. is it compatible with Phillips RCCM infrared protocol

Question 3:

is the Slingbox IR blaster a proximity type or does it have to be afixed over the IR eye of the DVR-STB (I'm asking because I already have an IR flasher stuck over the window as part of a IR extender)

Question 4:

I had a buddy who had problems getting the Slingbox cat5e ethernet connection to work, is it better to plug the ethernet into the residential gateway or can it go into a switch that is plugged into the gateway (I've got an extensive Cat5e network but I've put my DVR, Apple Airport Extreme, and AT&T microcell directly into the back of the residential gateway and other STB's and computers through a switch).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

1. Yes, HDMI and component are simultaneously output.  However, you may have to turn off CEC (HDMI device control) on your TV to prevent the U-Verse box from turning off all output when the TV is off.

2. IR blaster for Slingbox does work with the U-Verse boxes.  Use the VIP1216 device.

3. It is proximity, but needs to be within about 2-3 inches of the IR receiver.

4. You can connect the Slingbox either directly to the gateway or to a switch, provided that the switch is 802.1p compliant.  802.1p is a priority/tagging mechanism that U-Verse multicast IP packets use to maintain priority throughout the network.  Almost all Gigabit Ethernet switches are compliant, many 100 Mbps switches are as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

When you set up the Slingbox and it asks what kind of cable box you have, tell it you have the Motorola VIP1216.  This set of IR remote commands is compatible with the VIP1200 (regular STB), and the VIP1216 and VIP1225 (DVRs).

For switches, it depends on what you want to do.  The regilar NetGear GS-108 is a great Gigabit switch that works perfectly for U-Verse.  It is an unmanaged switch (just plug devices in).

The NetGear GS-108T switch is a small office/home office web manageable switch that has VLAN capability.  This switch is useful if you want to segment your computer and IPTV traffic and keep them separate, but this switch is more expensive and harder to find than the GS-108.

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

13 years ago

can you please elaborate on point #2, what is a VIP 1216 device

I've seen from other somejoe7777 posts that you've had good advise on switches, are you still recommending

net-gear GS108T switches>

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

So I setup my slingbox on a switch that is controlling my DVR. The switch is connected directly to the RG. While at home I can connect to the slingbox wirelessly without any issues. When I'm outside my network (at work) I am unable to connect. Is there something in my setup that I missed? I have wireless turned off on the RG and use my Dlink DIR655 as my router at home. Nothing is connected to the DIR655 and all wired connections are running through the RG and switches.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

port forwarding  from outside to the proper ip and port range........ ?

randy

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

Yeah I opened up the port last night and it works now. Forgot to reply to the thread but thanks all for the help and tips.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.