scoddie's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 3:46 PM

STB connectivity to HD pc

I have a Dell XPS One 2710 (all in one) pc that has an HDMI input to its video card.  I'd like to be able to use the pc as a TV monitor in addition to its normal computer functionality.  But after connecting the Motorola VIP1200 STB's HDMI output to this input I have no video signal.  Dell says that this input can accept HDMI signals from devices such as a Blu-ray or DVD player, but that the HDMI data from the STB is not the same and therefore won't work.  In their opinion, the only methods for interconnect would be from the STB's composite or component video and audio outputs which, of course, would not be HD. 

Has anyone ever been successful with this kind of installation?  Is Dell giving me accurate information?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gautamsb19 - I was thinking, instead of focusing on the STB, how about the HDMI connection or the power connection for the monitor.

Amazon has IR controlled HDMI switches for only $4-10. Hard to believe they are any good - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=hdmi+switch&qid=1351533733&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Ahdmi+switch&sort=price

A more expensive HDMI switch - http://sewelldirect.com/3x1-HDMI-Switch-with-Remote-13b-Compliant.asp

Or power off the AC feed -
With IR switch - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_228013_ln?rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3AIR+AC++switch&keywords=IR+AC++switch&ie=UTF8&qid=1351534145&scn=228013&h=75a1d399af350b9380d785b8a0b2e5a01a603f42

Or, connect monitor AC with extension cord wired to manual switch on the night table.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

scoddie - Awhile back there were no HDMI inputs to PCs. Then I did see one. When I first saw your post my first impression was - Are you sure it is not an output?

HDMI is a two way interface. The source device can tell if the target device is capable of recording and turn off the signal.

This means that there should be no difference between the connection to an STB and a DVD player.

However, the U_verse box may be a little more aggressive in turning off the signal.

See if you can get the blue OK screen from the STB when it is asleep.

Also, you might try this splitter - http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&sr=8-4
Some people have found that it does isolate the two devices. While it is a splitter, you would only connect one input - the STB - to feed the single output connected to the PC.

You are on new ground with this. It will be interesting to see if you can get it to work. In the meantime component should be fine.

One other thing - try different aspect settings on the STB.

U-verse requires the target device support HDCP. Check to see if the Dell does.

I tried to look up your PC manual on the Dell site & found it very unfriendly. Can you give more details on your model or even the link to the manual.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

It is because of HDCP, is why you are not going to see any output from a STB or DVR connected to a computer. You would have to connect via component.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

scoddie - Just reread your post - Component is HD. Composite is not, but component is.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

aviewer - unfortunately, the only input oprions to the Dell 2710 are HDMI, TOSLINK and, since it also includes a tuner, coax.  I've been able to at least get a picture with sound through the analog coax connection, but, of course, it neither displays full screen nor is it HD.

I did try to connect the STB to the HDMI connector on the Dell marked HDMI Out, just to see if the two HDMI connectors had been swapped internally.  Still no go. 

I've since talked to Dell again and now their product managers suggest that this type of connection should actually work.  They're sending a tech out to check it and possibly replace the MB. 

I'll let you know whast happens.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

scoddie - Good news that you have an indication that they want to make it work.

I had a couple more thoughts - Can you get a hold of any other device that has an HDMI output to try it?

Is it possible that the HDMI input is only to the screen (& not the computer). That it needs some option setting to switch from computer output to HDMI input. I guess Dell should know that & cover it in their scripts. LOL

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have a similar set up and it works. But I am using a ASUS VH238H monitor and it works like a charm. Using HDMI for picture output. 

But my only problem is that I dont know how to turn off the receiver completely off. I use my monitor for watching TV in my bedroom and I want to be able to turn off the STB all the way off and NOT put it into standby -- with the blue screen. Havent found a way to do that. I now have to physically walk over to switch off the monitor. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.