Therat_1's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Monday, November 21st, 2011 8:33 PM

STB and internet connection

I'm exploring the possibility of getting a Sonos Zone player 90 to connect to my home stereo system in my living room. The Sonos system requires a hard wired ethernet internet connection. Do Uverse STBs have an ethernet port that can be used for a hard wired internet connection?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

On the back of the RG there are four outputs for cat5 and an input for cat5 and a coax connector.

You are saying that the input cat5 is how the RG is fed.

If the STB and RG are next to each other the STB is usually connected to one of the 4 cat5 outputs.

Is the coax connected? If yes then your in-house coax network is being fed. Do you have more STBs?

If there is continuity in your coax network you can connect the STB to the connector on the other side of the room. Leaving the RG where it is.

If you want to move both the STB would remain connected to the RG as it is, but you would have to rewire the RG feed.

If it is cat5 you would have to fish that cable (or another longer one to the other side of the room.

If it is coax you would need to do some rewiring of your coax network. Tell me more about your coax network for me to explain that.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, one Ethernet port in back, as long as you are not installed for UV with Ethernet (that is an option over coax).

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the response.  I'm connected via coax- which leaves that ethernet connection free. Cool- the Sonos ZP 90 might be in my future...

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

I've used the Ethernet for my old laptop when my WiFi would act up (new laptop now). Smiley Very Happy

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I have 2 options for plugging in my uverse, and am trying to move my tv from one site to the other and am struggling. the original site had the RG plugged into an ethernet cable--the ATT person who installed everything for me initially said that when I loved it to the 2nd site that I would just go through the coaxial cable at the 2nd site instead of the ethernet cord, but i can't seem to get internet unless the RG is plugged into that green ethernet cable. So, if i move everything to the 2nd site do I then need a cord going from the STB to the RG in order to get that green "link" light on the STB for TV to work? Or do i set up RG without ethernet and with coax cable? If so, can someone walk me through it?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

"If there is continuity in your coax network you can connect the STB to the connector on the other side of the room. Leaving the RG where it is."

This is exactly what happened! I thought I had it all figured out, but didnt realize that the coax cable next to the ethernet at the original site needed to be plugged into the RG (when I disconnected it I just assumed it was connected to the TV). As soon as I got that cord plugged back onto the back of the RG I got picture across the room at the new location of the TV 🙂 RG stays, TV moves, living room rearranged. So thankful! You're awesome!

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad you got it worked out and it was a simple fix.  Enoy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.