kutchins_1's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Sunday, January 30th, 2011 4:15 PM

STB Reboot

My U-verse system is relatively simple. The DVR and one other STB. Last week and again today, when I turn on the television set connected to the STB, I get a "searching for signal" message which is only eliminated by a reboot.

My question is, is this a pre-cursor of problems to come or is it just something that happens to a box from time to time?

While I've only had the system for a few months, once it got correctly set up, (itself a major undertaking) it's been trouble-free.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

When the issue occurs, a power reboot brings everything back for many days. It's only happened twice in the past two weeks, so I'll watch carefully and apply the fixes suggested on this forum. Thanks again.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

How are you connected between the STB and the TV?

If you are connected COAX the STB should always be providing a channel three signal. Either it is not or your TV is having trouble locking in on it.

If you are connected HDMI, there may be  a handshake issue. This seems likely since a reboot solves it.

If you are connected composite or component, is your TV on the right input?

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

The television set is connected via HDMI and no changes to the setup are made when I get the "searching" message. And, although it seems to take a very long time, the power reboot brings it back.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

So you have a handshake issue. You can switch to a component connection.

If you don't want to do that -

Search the forums for other ways to deal with HDMI. I won't try to understand them - someone else can provide an explanation.

You should at least try the component connection.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the input.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

The most suggested way to resolve the handshake issue is to turn the tv and stb on.  While they both are on disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb and then press and hold the power button until the lights on the stb blink.  After 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable to the stb and then try turning the tv and stb off and back on.  That should resolve the handshake issue.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

13 years ago

What brand is the TV?  Some manufacturers' products have handshake issues with the Uverse boxes....while other brands  do not.  Samsung & Sharp pop up often in this forum.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.