FoRBaGR's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, November 15th, 2015 3:55 PM

S20-S1A does not operate my receiver

I have gone through three remotes of this model and none of them work properly. Wondering if it's a receiver problem, but went through two of those, too. The volume works on the TV with the remote, it operates the box less than 20% of the key presses you make on it. You press a button on the remote, the remote lights indicating the IR signal is being sent, yet the box doesn't receive the signal. Trying to go directly to a channel? Impossible. It _might_ allow you to press one of the digits, then it just sits there, despite how soft or hard you press the keys. When I called AT&T support the tech actually told me that there is a "Break-In" period - I have been using remotes all my life and have NEVER had a problem like this. Break-in period implies that it may have SOME problems - this remote does not operate the receiver properly - all three of the remotes do not. Do I need a new receiver? I also have an LG G3, with IR transmitting built in. It also fails to change channels or anything with the box. It controls the volume just fine on the TV and has worked on every other device with IR I have used it on. I'm tired of this not working and am considering going back to XFinity/Comcast despite the higher cost because at least it works - at least their remotes work right from the getgo.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@FoRBaGR   If it's an LCD (LED) TV check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy/Power Saver, Intelligent Sensor or Auto Iris.

If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off' one by one until you find the culprit, then turn the non-offending ones back on to double check. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD (LED).

If it's a plasma, make sure the DVR/STB is in front and the face pointing the same direction as the TV, so it gets no IR from the front of the screen. No tape needed for this to work.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@FoRBaGR - It is frustrating, compounded because it could be so many things.

It is good that you realize that it could be the STB(receiver). I believe theh DVRis more sensitive than the other STBs. Is yours a DVR? Any chance you could swap with a less used STB?

How about fresh batteries? Always possible they had a bad batch  of batteries at the factory.

You could try to find an old s-10 remote at a thrift store. But, that probably would not do it.

My favorite theory is that the STB sensor is just too sensitive, to correct that, you get this tape that has just the right amount of transparency - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

Place it over the STB IR sensor. There are cases that it works.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I will have to try the tape option. I have had three remotes with both their batteries and my own from a separate purchase/company with no luck. I thought maybe it could have something to do with the delay that universal remotes are required to adjust for different receivers, but I don't know where to find any of that information after searching for it.

I do have a DVR. With the amount that I'm home, plus watching sports and enjoying the ability to self-replay, I really like the use of the DVR.

They offered to send me an old s-10 remote, maybe I should do that. Both of the STB were brand new when I got them. Maybe I just have to get another one and try that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

mibrnsurg wrote:...

If it's a plasma, make sure the DVR/STB is in front and the face pointing the same direction as the TV, so it gets no IR from the front of the screen. No tape needed for this to work.  Good luck 😉

Chris

I have a Plasma, so I just moved the box down under the first tier of the TV stand and presto - it works like it's supposed to. I should have thought of this; I used to have the X4 Turtle Beach headset for gaming - that headset is based on an IR receiver - it always had problems with Plasma TVs. Makes total sense and explains why I hadn't figured this out to this point. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Great information on the LED/LCD TV settings, too. I am looking to purchase a new TV soon and will keep that in mind going forward as well.

Thank you for the easiest fix that I wish I had gotten from the customer service techs the three times I called them and they never suggested that.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@FoRBaGR  Great that worked, it's such a simple fix for plasmas (I have one too). Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.