poodlebuzz's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, August 6th, 2014 12:50 AM

Reversing recording priority as auto default

Is there any way to modify the automatic priority position when setting a new recording?

It seems every new recording I set automatically gets assigned #1 spot and all others shuffle down a position.

I would much prefer every new recording to automatically be given the last priority position. After all, items I have already in my DVR timers are my all-time regular faves and anything new is just that...something that I'm probably just discovering or unsure about. I have to manually go in and change every single recording which is silly.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Litzz11 - This is another item on a long list of activities that should have a user settable default to customize the U-verse experience to meet each customers needs. But, "user settable default" does not appear to be in the designers toolbox.

You must record an awful lot of shows to find value in the priority feature. I thought I recorded a lot of shows & I do remember once having a conflict. But, I cannot remember how long ago that was.

cc: @beckyww 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I shamefully record and watch too much tv. I have now had Uverse for one week and am quite miserable with the lack of customized settings and natural-flow options. I had DISH previously and had 100 Timers set for series recordings (100 was the max so I had to prioritize what I would record). I'm sure the Uverse DVR will probably max out at 30 or 40 and I will go insane.

I also had 1.2 TB stored on the DISH Hopper and another 500MB or so on an external connected to the DVR. So yes, my recording habits are extreme and will change drastically with Uverse. DISH was not an option for my new condo and I'm already sensing that Uverse is my Intervention and in one year I will have stopped watching cable and rely solely on Netflix/Hulu/Amazone and be much more selective in my viewing. My $200+ Uverse/internet just isn't going to be worth it with their DVR features and only 155 hrs recording on the DVR.

In case anyone is mystified at my viewing backlog, there are plenty of shows I've recorded on my "one day I will get around to it and probably never will" list. However, with Dish and their auto hop and their default 30 second skip (without autohop), I can blaze through lots of shows in a record time. With Uverse, I'm already crawling. The skip forward is 24 seconds which is ridiculous and requires that I constantly back up and go forward to get the start after each commercial break to be exact (most commercial breaks are an even 2, 2.5 or 3 minutes so DISH was fast to hit the skip button 4, 5, or 6 times and be EXACTLY on par with the show when it started after commercial). Not so with Uverse.

The fall tv season is crazy with returning shows and lots of new premieres. July/August is not so much critical viewing but in my first 7 days with Uverse, my DVR was 56% full!!!!! I feel like I'm back in 2002 with Time Warner's first ever DVR box. Uverse needs to get with it...maybe pull in that Genie from DirecTV (not that I'm a fan but since the ATT buyout of DirecTV, that's a least a place to start.)

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I can not help you with the recording conflict, but I do have a suggestion for skipping commercials. I, too, started with the jump or skip button, but changed to the FF.

You can hit it a couple of times & it will whip through the commercials. You do have to watch for the end, but when you return to play it jumps back & starts at a good place. If I lose focus & do not stop fast enough I use the replay or jump back button.

All this navigation is not helped by the U-verse remote. The DVR button set  is just there. It is like the dullest car you can think of. What we need is a high performance model. Also, some people have trouble with the IR actually working on every button press.

About five years ago I got a Logitech Harmony Model 700. The bad news is the DVR button set is pretty much the same as the U-verse remote except for the Play/pause button(s). I did notice a big toggle button in the perfect position center, near the top. I programmed this to be FF/replay & have high performance layout.

I, recently, replaced the 700 with a Logitech Harmony Smart Control in order to use the one remote for three TV/STBs (see avatar). Again, the layout does not feature a prominent FF button as standard. But, the play/pause button has that sweet shape & position, so I programmed it to be FF/replay.

I, also discovered that the OK button stops the FF & initiates normal play. I still have high performance button layout. The SC has two more adders - Rock solid IR performance and it is not necessary to aim the remote - It is wi-fi.

In summary, the FF  works quite well for commercial skip if you do not mind watching it stream by.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

I can not help you with the recording conflict, but I do have a suggestion for skipping commercials. I, too, started with the jump or skip button, but changed to the FF.

You can hit it a couple of times & it will whip through the commercials. You do have to watch for the end, but when you return to play it jumps back & starts at a good place. If I lose focus & do not stop fast enough I use the replay or jump back button.

All this navigation is not helped by the U-verse remote. The DVR button set  is just there. It is like the dullest car you can think of. What we need is a high performance model. Also, some people have trouble with the IR actually working on every button press.

About five years ago I got a Logitech Harmony Model 700. The bad news is the DVR button set is pretty much the same as the U-verse remote except for the Play/pause button(s). I did notice a big toggle button in the perfect position center, near the top. I programmed this to be FF/replay & have high performance layout.

I, recently, replaced the 700 with a Logitech Harmony Smart Control in order to use the one remote for three TV/STBs (see avatar). Again, the layout does not feature a prominent FF button as standard. But, the play/pause button has that sweet shape & position, so I programmed it to be FF/replay.

I, also discovered that the OK button stops the FF & initiates normal play. I still have high performance button layout. The SC has two more adders - Rock solid IR performance and it is not necessary to aim the remote - It is wi-fi.

In summary, the FF  works quite well for commercial skip if you do not mind watching it stream by.

@aviewer - FF and jump back does work well BUT have you noticed that Rewind now jumps forward. Smiley Surprised  It's not supposed to do that!  AND t's quite annoying.  If you overshoot a commercial by 20 seconds, you hit rewind and then press play, it jumps forward 10 seconds - 2 steps forward and one step back.  I often watch motorsports on TV.  I FF until I see green flag pit stops, a pass or a caution.  It works well until I have to RW to find something, only to have it jump forward.  I'm actually surprised no one has commented on this as it's gone on for over a year.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.