buckeyeba's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 2:48 PM

Recording TV

I have one of the best DVD Recorders made. I used to be able to record everything; since it all went digital, I can't record anything:( (My DVD says "Cannot record copyrighted material.")  Is there anyway to pull programs off my DVR? I think there is, and here's why:

When I hook up the RCA (red/yellow/white) or the other (red/blue/green) cables to my DVR/DVD, I get the error mssg (not to mention a less than stellar picture). When I ONLY connect the HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV, programs will record---but sound only. (I tried only adding the video cable to no avail.) For the record, I'm not trying to pirate anything; there are a few things I've saved on DVR that are 0% available to purchase. (Since that is the case, I rather think that copyrights are unnecessary.)

Halp!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

This is a complicated topic. First, when I had Comcast I had problem recording until I swapped the box I was given for an older model (Motorola). Problem solved. Apparently the newer box emitted signals that my Toshiba recorder "misread". It had nothing to do with any FCC Regs. Since switching to ATT I have the same recording prolem. However, it appears that I can record some channels (including some cable channels) in the non-HD mode, meaning I have to have the TV set to the non-HD channel. But others (most of the cable channels) will not record no matter what. Is this just a technical issue or does ATT have a policy concerning recording (if so, it appears to be smewhat illogical).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

In case anyone from ATTchecks this followuo to my previous comment. I ran thru most of the non-HD channels (1-450 and sports) to see which ones would not record (I have the U300, and live in Sacramento). The following got the "Can Not Record" blue box message : 10 (ABC), 31 (CW),119 (AMC), 125 (USA), 128-9 (FX), 139 (TVLand), 153 (Chill), 156 (BET), 161 (Cloo), 181 (Bravo),184 (Logo), 216 (CNBC), 229 (Time), 265 (NGC), 318-20 (NK), 322 (TeenNick), 337 (Sprout), 368 (Oxygen). Movie channels: HBO, Starz, Encore (all no).Among the sports channels: 767, 770 (Comcast Sports), NBA, NBCSN....ESPN, ESPNU (but: yes for ESPN2  as well as CBSN, FSN1,2 Pac12 and MLB.  Go figure).

My one question: Do those channels have anything in common to explain why I can't record them on my DVD-R? Is it possible the problem comes from the receiver (as was the case with Comcast)?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dnegri - How are you connected from the u-verse box to the DVD-R? HDMI? HDCP could be blocking. Try connecting component, composite, s-video or COAX.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I agree about xfinity. But i also had the same problem with comcast till i found out the problem was the box sending out goofy signals that my DVDR misinterpreted. Getting a different brand (Motorola) box solved it. So I wonder if that's not the issue here, but that might require changing receivers to another series or brand to see, provided ATT owes up to the problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for quick response.

I have standard video/audio RCA cables going from receiver to my Toshiba DVR. Have HDMI cable from receiver to Toshiba TV's HDMI1 input.Have HDMI cable from DVR to TV's HDMI2 input. So, the input signal goes directly from the receiver to my DVR via basic 3 cables.

I could try S-Video. How do I know which outputs to use on the u-verse box?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I hooked up s-video, (found the output!),got a picture on tv but same problem when trying to record.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

dnegri - When you connect a HDMI cable, you never know what will happen. You should try it with the HDMI disconnected at the receiver.

I could try S-Video. How do I know which outputs to use on the u-verse box?

the receiver has an s-video output connector & use red/white for audio.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Found a "solution": by using DVD-RW disc and formatting it to the VR mode, the previously blocked channels (see earlier post) became recordable. Whether it is a case of "one copy only" provision or not, I don't know (though given the channels I could/coudn't record previously, I have my doubts). There is a big drawback though: the DVD-RW disc won't play on DVD-R machines that won't read the VR format or allow you to change formats. 

Nor do all decks have the ability to change the format.

This solution is not workable with the more common +RW discs nor the R discs.

So, I'm better off than yesterday, but still not a totally happy camper.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.