SomeDude's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 6:50 PM

Recording 1 series with two different settings (First runs and repeats)

Hello. I have a simple use case:

I want to record a show "South Park". 

I want to maintain two different groupings of this show: A group of new episodes only (first runs) and another group of repeats.

I want different settings such that I only want to keep the last 5 new episodes (first runs), and I want to keep the last 14 repeats.

Is this possible?

This becomes extemely useful for shows like Tosh.0 that are currently running but repeated VERY often, thus making it hard to keep up on the DVR. Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find it in search

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@SomeDude wrote:

Hello. I have a simple use case:

I want to record a show "South Park". 

I want to maintain two different groupings of this show: A group of new episodes only (first runs) and another group of repeats.

I want different settings such that I only want to keep the last 5 new episodes (first runs), and I want to keep the last 14 repeats.

Is this possible?

This becomes extemely useful for shows like Tosh.0 that are currently running but repeated VERY often, thus making it hard to keep up on the DVR. Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find it in search

I haven't tried this but I suppose that you could find when the new shows are on, set them First Run only, any day at 8 PM (if that is when the new shows are on and to keep 5 episodes.  THEN set up another series at a time when the re-airs are on, first and re-run and keep 14.  The kicker would be if the re-airs are also on at 8 PM.  It should open up two "books" of South Park's in the list of recordings.  I had to record a single show of Dual Survivor at 11 PM because of a conflict from the original time.  It made that separate show, a seprate recording from the others.

Good luck and welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

SomeDude - I doubt it. You will have to try it & see.
I have had duplicate series records set up by accident & the episode only recorded once.

The group of recorded shows is formed by the series record.

You could set up two different series records with different criteria & see if you get two groups containing the episodes you want.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Now I feel like a fool because I know I tried this before but could not get it two split into two different groups. I just tried again with a different approach and got it working.

My previous attempt:

Setup series recording to retain last 14 episodes (first + repeat). Could not setup a new series using the guide because each subsequent listing in the guide showed the current series as scheduled to record (3 red dots). I only had the option to change the existing series recording. This resulted in only 1 group for the show in my "recording > series" page.

My current attempt:

Setup series recording to only show first runs. Then used the search to find rerun episodes and was able to setup a new recording series having (first runs and repeats). This resulted in 2 groups for the show in my "recording > series" page. 

I will have to wait a few days for the result but hopefully I get the new episodes in both groups, and repeats in one groups. 

Thanks

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@SomeDude wrote:

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Now I feel like a fool because I know I tried this before but could not get it two split into two different groups. I just tried again with a different approach and got it working.

My previous attempt:

Setup series recording to retain last 14 episodes (first + repeat). Could not setup a new series using the guide because each subsequent listing in the guide showed the current series as scheduled to record (3 red dots). I only had the option to change the existing series recording. This resulted in only 1 group for the show in my "recording > series" page.

My current attempt:

Setup series recording to only show first runs. Then used the search to find rerun episodes and was able to setup a new recording series having (first runs and repeats). This resulted in 2 groups for the show in my "recording > series" page. 

I will have to wait a few days for the result but hopefully I get the new episodes in both groups, and repeats in one groups. 

Thanks

Cool.  If it works, to your satisfaction, please consider marking either (or both) of our replies as "Accepted Solutions."  Folks with similar questions would be able to jump straight to the solution(s).

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

I record my sons shows and they are all grouped the the recording time, For example, Ninjago on Cartoon Network, I have some set up during the week and some on the weekends and they show up as separate groups under my recordings.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Glad to know this works in general but since they don't overlap it's a different scenario.

My main concern is for keeping seperate groups for "new" and "repeats", as this gives me a good way to catchup on shows. (Especially when a network plays repeats frequently or run marathons for a show.)

e.g.: When a new episode airs will it record into both my "new group" and "repeat group" at the same time?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.