Jetmugg's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 2:56 PM

Recent U-Verse Customer - would like to add a wired receiver in basement (Cable already run).

Hello:

I'm a new U-verse customer (about a month).  I am also finishing my basement  into a family area with big screen TV, surround sound, etc.  I have wired the basement with Co-axial cable and Cat5 cable.  I just ordered the TV and surround sound for the basement, but it hasn't arrived yet.  I have Co-axial cable outlets available at every location I could possibly want to put the TV in the basement.  Mobility of the TV will not be an issue.

The basement remodel project is actually going quicker than expected, and I would like to add a U-Verse reciever in the basement.  When the installation tech did the work on my initial installation, I told him that I would eventually want to add another receiver in th basement, and asked for his recommendations.

He told me that I could probably do a wireless receiver in the basement, although it's a pretty long way from the RG, which is on the 2nd floor of the house.  He said that if it was his home, he would try to do a wired installation.  I tend to agree.

I know that I could add a wireless receiver, and probably get a decent signal, but I just "feel" better with hard-wired connections.  Additionally, I can't find out if there is a monthly charge for an additional wired reciever, as there is with a wireless receiver.

I logged into my ATT account, but there were no options to add a wired receiver, only for adding wireless receivers.  Is there another way to add a wired receiver to my home?

Is it possible to add a wired receiver, and is there a monthly charge to have an additional wired receiver?  Even if there is a mandatory service visit (which I have read there might be), this could still be the best option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve M.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

If you want to use the wireless receiver as a wired receiver, you don not need to plug the WAP for the wireless receiver into the RG.  Once the Cat5 cable is connected between the RG and the wireless receiver and the receiver is turned on, the receiver should boot up if it has been activated on your account.

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

12 years ago

I think the way AT&T wants to do it is a wireless STB can be done as a self install where they mail it out to you and you connect it. For a wired box, you'd have to call and have a tech come out, regardless of if you have a jack at the location or not, probably to test and make sure the signal gets there right. Even if it actually does get there right, they dont have it built into their system to send you a new wired box, only a replacement. At least that's the story i got for the box I wanted to add in the same room as my RG that I could just run a cat5 cable directly to.

Depending on what promos you might have, the initial box is included in the price of the service, any additional box is $7 a month, wired or wireless

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

OK, thanks for the response.  If there is a $7 per additional receiver charge, (either wireless or wired), then there isn't as much benefit to using a wired receiver as I thought there might be. 

I still like the idea of a hard-wired connection, but it's possible that I'm over-thinking this.

The wireless receivers also have a port on the back for CAT5 input, but no Co-ax input on the back of the receiver, right?  I don't have a receiver in front of me right now.

Steve.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Jetmugg wrote:

The wireless receivers also have a port on the back for CAT5 input, but no Co-ax input on the back of the receiver, right?  I don't have a receiver in front of me right now.

Steve.

Correct.  You can use the wireless receiver as a wired receiver by connected it to the U-verse gateway using a Cat5 cable and removing the WAP.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

I believe the wireless receivers have a one time $45 dollar fee atttached to them for the extra WAP needed to connect it.  If you do a standard box then you would save the $45 since you are going to go hardwire anyway.  Just sayin.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

12 years ago

Well, it might come down to the lesser of two evils:

Wireless Box + WAP: $45.00.  Throw WAP in closet and run your own cable.

Wired Box + Truck Roll: $55.00 + whatever tech adds on for wiring.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Wonder why someone can't call and order an additional standard box then just call and have it provisioned once connected?  Isn't that what they are doing when DVR's go bad?  Send a new one and then customer calls to have it provisioned to their account?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

I believe the wireless receivers have a one time $45 dollar fee atttached to them for the extra WAP needed to connect it.  If you do a standard box then you would save the $45 since you are going to go hardwire anyway.  Just sayin.

It's actually a $49 onetime fee for the wireless receivers.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

Wonder why someone can't call and order an additional standard box then just call and have it provisioned once connected?  Isn't that what they are doing when DVR's go bad?  Send a new one and then customer calls to have it provisioned to their account?

Swapping the DVR is the replacement of an existing box not installing a new box.  Adding a wired STB is installing a new box not the replacement of an existing box.  Only adding a new wireless receiver is a self install.

If I had a choice, I could chose to use the wireless receiver as a wired box instead of getting a wired STB because the wireless receiver has more memory and a faster processor.  You will notice the difference.

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

12 years ago

The other nice thing about the wireless is you can move it as things change in your household.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.