RBfKC10's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 4:24 AM

Question about U-Verse Installation (RG placement / Coax vs CAT5)

U-Verse just arrived in my neighborhood (new VRAD just went in >500 feet away) and I'm considering making the switch. I have a few questions first however. I live in a newer two story home with a basement, that is wired with coax throughout (but not CAT5). Due to the nature of my work, it is essential that I have a hard line to the internet in my office on the top floor. My question is; even though the cable/phone/etc comes into the house in the basement, is it possible for the installer to install the residential gateway in my office? Will he need to run CAT5, and if so, could he simply terminate it in a dual coax/ethernet wall plate without cutting any additional holes in my walls (using the existing cable as a guide to feed the new cable)? For the sake of simplicity, would it be possible to run the one length of CAT5 to my office, and then have all of the other boxes (four in total, two HD) running off of coax? I'm trying to get a feel for how many holes need to be drilled in my floors and/or walls to make this work (I'm not that eager to switch if the answer is more than one or two). I realize that coax can be used by itself with an adapter of some sort, but from what I've read, that really isn't the way to go if you can help it. Doing it that way, could the RG be placed in the upstairs office? I'd rather have CAT5 directly to it, but if it can be done simpler with coax (assuming the RG can be upstairs) I'd be willing to compromise. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find my specific issue addressed previously (if it has been, feel free to forward me there). Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

@RBfKC10 wrote:
U-Verse just arrived in my neighborhood (new VRAD just went in >500 feet away) and I'm considering making the switch. I have a few questions first however. I live in a newer two story home with a basement, that is wired with coax throughout (but not CAT5). Due to the nature of my work, it is essential that I have a hard line to the internet in my office on the top floor. My question is; even though the cable/phone/etc comes into the house in the basement, is it possible for the installer to install the residential gateway in my office? Yes, you should be able to have the RG placed in your office.  It could mean that there might have to be a hole drilled in order to facilitate that.  It depends on where the NID is placed in relation to your office.
Will he need to run CAT5, and if so, could he simply terminate it in a dual coax/ethernet wall plate without cutting any additional holes in my walls (using the existing cable as a guide to feed the new cable)?  The tech will run Cat5 from the NID to the RG.  He/she will probably replace the connectors on the existing coax cables.  Since your house is new, the coax cables should be good.
For the sake of simplicity, would it be possible to run the one length of CAT5 to my office, and then have all of the other boxes (four in total, two HD) running off of coax? I'm trying to get a feel for how many holes need to be drilled in my floors and/or walls to make this work (I'm not that eager to switch if the answer is more than one or two). I realize that coax can be used by itself with an adapter of some sort, but from what I've read, that really isn't the way to go if you can help it. Doing it that way, could the RG be placed in the upstairs office? I'd rather have CAT5 directly to it, but if it can be done simpler with coax (assuming the RG can be upstairs) I'd be willing to compromise. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find my specific issue addressed previously (if it has been, feel free to forward me there). Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The tech should be able to grant your requests.  I think your install should go quite well, but make sure all of your services work to your satisfaction before the tech leaves.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

NID line needs to run directly to the RG; you can attach a swtch from the RG and go from there.  RG only has 4 Ethernet ports.

Voice is plugged into the back of the RG as well (2 line ports).

Yes, TVs connected via coax are backfed from the NID.  All coax needs to have NEW ends/connectors installed (each end, even behind/front of wall plates).

You will not be able to just connect coax to a TV and get UV; each TV requires an STB.  If there are any coax lines you might want to connect for TV later, have the tech do that while he/she is there.  That way, you can move STBs to other rooms at a later date if you wish.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@RBfKC10 wrote:

If I run that cable from the RG to my office (terminating in a wall plug), can I plug a router in, and feed both a set top box, and my computer?

You would want to use a switch, not a router.

The recommended switch that will allow the set top box (STB) to run properly as well as not interfere with the computer's traffic is the NetGear GS108 (8 port) or GS105 (5 port).

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

I've decided to go with U-Verse, and I've already ordered. I have a few more questions first though (or rather, I'd like to know if I have the correct idea). I see two possible scenarios NID (located in basement) -> Ethernet Switch -> RG in Second Floor Office (with a new run of CAT5E I'll put in) -> Living Room Television (with a new run of CAT5E I'll put in) (all other boxes being run on coax) or NID -> RG in Basement -> Cat5E run to living room and office (all other boxes being run on coax) I'd like the RG in my office so that I can more easily service it, but if it is simpler to do it the other way, I'm willing to (the important thing is that my office and living room have an ethernet line for qualities sake). Am I correct in assuming that a switch can even be attached to the NID, or will it not work like that? Thank you in advance for your assistance (I know I marked this resolved, but that was before I decided to pre-wire my house on my own)

Edit:

(Sorry, the diagram I drew seems to have borked)

To simplify further, if possible I'd like to attach the NID directly to an ethernet switch. From there, I'd run cables (attached to the switch) to the RG in my office upstairs, and to my living room set top box. I'd have every other television run on Coax (the RG can manage this through the coax connection in my office, correct?). If that will not work, I'd like the RG in the basement, directly attached to CAT5E cables I'll run to the living room, and my second floor office (I'm pretty certain that this would be acceptable). The first solution is preferable, but the second one would be acceptable as well. If it makes a difference, I'm also signed up for U-Verse voice. Will that work attached to the phone jack in my office, or does that need a line directly from the outside (running all the other phone jacks in the house)?

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you. I guess the best scenario here would be the RG in the basement (feeding the phone), with a direct CAT5E cable going to my living room (first floor) and my office (second floor), and Coax handling the rest of the house (with boxes on each TV of course)? That way, my office has the higher quality ethernet line, as does the living room television. Is this a good idea?

One final question (sorry, I'm new to IP delivered services, though I have plenty of coax/pots experience). If I run that cable from the RG to my office (terminating in a wall plug), can I plug a router in, and feed both a set top box, and my computer?

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you. AT&T will supply one, correct? If not, I need to order one rather shortly.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

My RG has 4 RJ45 outputs on the rear, I run 4 computers wired and 3 wireless off the RG. I only have Uverse TV and Internet no voip phone. In your situation I would run coax to all TV's then depending on how many computers you have to set up I would run RJ45 to each of them or possibly connect wirelessly to the RG.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@RBfKC10 wrote:
Thank you. AT&T will supply one, correct? If not, I need to order one rather shortly.

The techs do carry GS108 switches on their truck, but they will only supply one if it's necessary to complete your installation.  If they are able to do it in a way that it's not required, then they won't supply one.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 - Is there any other way to get a set top box and multiple computers working in a single room (other than wireless, which I am unwilling to use)? I've decided not to pre-wire my house with CAT5E (The install date is coming, and a family member is no longer able to help). I've read elsewhere, and on here, that the installers will be able and willing to do it. Two runs of CAT5E (one from the basement to the first floor, and another to the second floor) shouldn't be a problem, should it? Can they refuse on the basis that the house is already wired with coax?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.