forgot2shave's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 2:18 AM

Question about IPN4320 and NVG589

Hello, I recently upgraded to the Max Power package internet and with it came a switch to the NVG589. Before that, I had moved to the modem to a different room and had no problem relocating using a standard telephone wire. The NVG589, however, only wants to work with the original data phone line that it was installed with.

My dilemma is that I would prefer to have my devices in a different room but I only have 1 ethernet cable long enough to run from the modem's location to my entertainment area. I am trying to minimize my costs as much as possible so I am wondering

A) does the IPN4320 receiver work if it is connected to a router connected to my NVG589?

and 

B) would another option be to buy a longer "data" capable phone line? (of which I can not find anywhere near me)

Just for clarification, I do not wish to go wireless if possible as 3 of the devices I wish to connect with a wired device are for gaming.

Thanks for your time

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

A) No.

B) You need a Cat5e rated cable with RJ11 ends to connect the NVG 589 to the wall plate.  These pretty much have to be ordered on line if you're not equipped to make them yourself.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I do not have this setup & am not sure I fully understand the details, but I would like to interject a different perspective.

If you are trying to minimize costs, I think the first thing on the list of inexpensive solutions is cat5 cable. Check out prices at monoprice.com.

Is it only the wall jack that requires rj-11 connectors? Do you really need to connect through that wall jack?

If the equipment requires Rj-11 I am thinking of a connector that looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/Britta-Products-RJ45-Coupler-F-F/dp/B000BSLW8U/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_y

This coupler accepts both RJ-11 and RJ-45 - effectively a converter. But, it needs a male-male RJ-11. You could try a short tel cord used for wall phones. I do not know if it would be of high enough quality. I am looking for a real short plug-on-each-end, but have not yet found one.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Uh, my thoughts, that restriction only appears in the section "AT&T U-VERSE VOICE"

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks guys

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.