For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ngriffith's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 11:31 PM

Pixelation while recording simultaneously

Uverse (not DirecTV) problem suddenly occurred two weeks (during the heavy snowstorm in ATL).  When recording one or multiple shows at the same time, the recordings for all shows are pixelated.  When recording a single show, all live channels which are not being recorded are pixelated. 

Recording 1+ shows on multiple channels:  all recordings are pixelated

Recording only 1 show:  all channels not being recorded are pixelated.  Only the channel being recorded is clear.

I read a solution for other similar problems (not identical) was to power off the gateway for a few minutes then power on.  My gateway shows Ethernet connection, since I have a wireless receiver on another floor.  I'll try this when I go to bed and see if that helps any.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Uverse (not DirecTV) problem suddenly occurred two weeks (during the heavy snowstorm in ATL).

Given that snowstorm and what you are describing I would check the error info shown in the gateway's (192.168.1.254) broadband status and statistics tables.  If it indicates high error rates then perhaps that snowstorm affect the outside circuits in some way.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

When I clicked on it and saw information that is only for my gateway, I was alarmed.

Yeah, a lot of people have posted about the gateway home page showing the wifi info.  Man Wink  There the debate however on you can't see that stuff on a wifi connection unless you already know the wifi info.  You need physical access to the gateway (e.g., a wired connection) to see that stuff if you don't have wifi access.  And the debate goes back and forth from there.

I saw hundreds of thousands of FEC and CRC errors, as you indicated might be a circuit problem, I accept your suggestion as a solution for the technician to focus on.

Ok, tell him about the error rates you are seeing.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Tried the power off/on of the gateway and that didn't fix the problem.  Resorted to scheduling an appointment with a technician on 12/28/2018.  My agreement expires early-February, so if this problem is not fixed, I will need to consider Xfinity, since the multiple, simultaneous recording DVR and wireless receiver were the strongest reasons to stay with Uverse.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for all the details.  I'm disappointed that my private information is open to anyone who reads this posting.  How did you get it?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I am not sure why you marked my reply as a the solution unless you actually did see high error rates in the info.

What private information are you referring to?  Private info is usually censored out by the forum moderator(s) but they leave some indication that info was censored and the place they took the info out.  I don't see that in this thread nor do I see anything that could be interpreted as personal info.

At any rate, if you don't like something you put in your own posts you can always go back and edit it out.  Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right of the post to bring up a drop down menu which includes "Edit Reply".

Update:

After thinking this over, are you thinking the "private information" is that gateway url (192.168.1.254)?  That's not private.  That's the url everyone uses to access their own att gateway.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I was thinking of the gateway link.  I didn't know it's the same link for everyone.  When I clicked on it and saw information that is only for my gateway, I was alarmed.  Since I was already in the webpage, I saw hundreds of thousands of FEC and CRC errors, as you indicated might be a circuit problem, I accept your suggestion as a solution for the technician to focus on.  If it turns out not to be the circuit, I'll update the post.  Thank you for your suggestion and follow-up to my response.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Technician came.   Before reaching my house, he said he looked at my records and saw errors.  He traced the problem to the circuit at my subdivision's board.  He said he upgraded me at the board and when he finished (took him less than 45 minutes), everything works well.  I can record simultaneously and the recordings are not pixelated.  While recording, I can watch other channels without pixelation.   Problem solved.  Technician suspected that my equipment is old and was more vulnerable to freezing weather.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Technician suspected that my equipment is old and was more vulnerable to freezing weather.

Yet it was an outside circuit he had to fix. 

I can record simultaneously and the recordings are not pixelated.  While recording, I can watch other channels without pixelation.

FWIW and FYI you might want to look at your profile.  Withe uverse remote click the following sequence:

menu->options->system->system information->system resources

This helps explain the stream information.

Anyway glad you got everything working again.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you, my thoughts.  That sounds like what the technician did.  I don't understand the technical details about the cards you mentioned but he did say that I had old stuff.  I assumed that each customer has its own whatever at the subdivision's board that is specific to the Uverse equipment we each have.  He didn't change my gateway, modem or receiver but did change whatever it was in the subdivision board.  After that, everything worked out perfectly and it took him very little time to determine the solution.

Thank you for your explanation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.