Ones's profile

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 4:22 PM

Our VIP2250 DVR has seizures.

Last week we received a replacement (VIP 2250) for our failed dvr (VIP 1225), which will crash on random mornings always during 10:20 - 10:30 AM. Yes, this is real DVR behavior!  Today automatically it rebooted itself, usually I have to pull the plug.

Do the other 2250 DVR run hot even though there is plenty ventilation of space around the unit?

The VIP2250 models *still* use WIndows CE 5, this OS is so old it has moss growing on its back! And maybe it's too expensive to have use of version 6.

DVR Manufacture date September 2011

TV2 Client: 2.0.26496.22

UI: 5.3.2

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

I installed the other new replacement VIP2250 which was sent out, Thursday a tech came to check everything because we had also experienced a strange gateway problem (also not imagined) so He replaced the RG.

The Tech also thought that the VIP2250 might be having problems with HDMI compatibility with our TV* and swapped room locations with an existing VIP1200 - looks good, works well...

The black remotes are better, we don't have to do IR reflection tricks to turn on the TV.  Smiley Happy

*(I have read other posts here and believe it to be an HDCP authentication problem.)

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

I say call ts and let them know what happened, again.  You are paying for the service and you should get your money's worth.  This is a drag but it beats not getting satisfaction...

...eventually. 

IMHO

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

I want to know if somebody else has had that happen...

also the harddrive is installed label side down, probably right on top of the cpu.  Robot Very Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Ones, how are you measuring the air temp? As for WinCE 5.x, it works, so no reason to go any further with it. Microsoft is supporting CE 5.x until 2014, so unless you know more than the engineers at ATT & Microsoft that know that this platform works, I am not going any further.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

I'm been a bit busy lately, today and will post a reply with more detail later today.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

When you had the VIP2250 installed, were the recorded programs transferred to the new hard disc?  Or did you lose all of the recordings, never to be able to see them because they took away the old VIP1225?

Also, I called today to get the VIP2250 and after 20 minutes taking the order, giving them the serial # of the VIP1225 and so forth, I was told there are no VIP2250 DVRs on the U-verse system so they cannot provided one to me.

What steps did you take to receive the VIP2250?

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

dvrjunkie, recordings do not transfer across devices. Only the schedule, which is kept up in the cloud, would show, once you activate the new device.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

The hardrive had begun to fail and it erased everything; No, old recordings aren't transferred to new DVRs.

I fully expected to get a VIP1225 replacement unit - AT&T sent the new model of their volition.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
Ones, how are you measuring the air temp? As for WinCE 5.x, it works, so no reason to go any further with it. Microsoft is supporting CE 5.x until 2014, so unless you know more than the engineers at ATT & Microsoft that know that this platform works, I am not going any further.

Second generation (non mercury) thermometer; Ambient morning air temp 74 degrees low humidity, 85 degrees on the top center of the dvr, the top left of the front panel is hot, and the bottom feels like it's over 100 (I don't have a flat probe or laser thermometer).

With the hard drive label side down it's just radiating heat down on the main board.

Can anybody confirm, that label side down installation is the new normal with these DVRs?

Observation:

The rubber "feet" on these units are just to keep the device from sliding all over creation, not much air could flow underneath unless it's forced.

---

It didn't lock up today, I recorded the NBC Today show while watching 'The Doctors".
I watch 'The Doctors' HD channel 1021 (KTXA Texas station)

usually a cause:

The TV2 Client version 2 for the VIP1225 DVR is buggy software, on the 2250 less so - the hardware is better able to cope with real time software demands and some bugs were fixed...

When it does lockup, some 'zombie' threads are still pulling data through the Gateway.

Speculative causalities:
1) Heap, stack, and buffer overflows

2) unchecked buffers, inputs

3) self modifying code that fails

4) a thread or process causing other exceptions

5) is the CE version of .NET involved

6) obtuse side effects of HDCP authentication problems

7) other

facts:
The Gateway is up-to-date with it's firmware and incoming data is good.

I don't have another HDMI cable (plausible cheap cable induced problems) nor a voltmeter to test for outlet undervoltage.

---

comment about Windows CE:

As for Windows CE 5, yes it works and stable; It's continued use is to lower costs of product development, maintenance and stability across VIP12xx, 22xx series (Motorola manufactured) boxes, and AT&T paying for extended maintenance bug fixes may be cheaper.

Converting and standardizing on version 6 is expensive.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Ones, using a mercury bulb thermometer is only going to measure ambient air temp. Any electronic device is going to be warm, hard drives more, due to they are mechanical devices, and friction of the discs spinning in air causes heat. Until manufacturers start moving to SSD, they will continue to use mechanical hard drives, due to cheaper costs.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.