kschrader's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Monday, June 17th, 2013 9:26 PM

No TV Signal

Just turned the TV on...was watching it last night.  I have the proper HDMI2 input channel selected.  DVR light is on.  But no signal to watch local stations.  There's a message that says:

"No signal.  Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button."

Never seen this before in the past year.  I still have internet and phone.  What might the problem be?  Is there a place to check for outages in my area?  Or do I need to recycle power on something?

Thanks...Kurt

Update:  Oops...just went through "getting out of the car and back in".  All Ops Normal.  Sorry for the bandwidth!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

kschrader - Probably the HDMI handshake did not complete well.
You could just try again.
You could turn on the TV first, if you have the TV remote or you would need to reprogram the remote.

att/ok-977-enter & the power button will do one device that is selected by the mode button.
att/ok-977-tv-att-enter will auto power - tv first.
Switching to component cables will eliminate any problems with HDMI handshake.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

Turing things off and back on seemed to do the trick.  I'm back in business

Kurt

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I had a similar problem and I tried to play with TV remote's INPUT button too. It worked! The representative I called scheduled a technician visit.  Glad I found this forum.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is this a common problem?  It seems to occur daily.  Not sure this is much better than Time Warner problems. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

TLED - The vast majority of service is problem free. If you have a problem it does not matter that others have no problem. You can either call in for repair & describe your problem or describe your problem here.

If you are saying your TV is reporting no signal, one possibility is it is on the wrong input. Another is the HDMI is not compatible.

What is the model of the TV & how is it connected to the STB?

Does your problem occur on turn-on or while watching?

How is the STB fed - Wireless, COAX or cat5?

Does this happen on all your TVs or just one?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have this problem a lot. I will be in the middle of watching something and suddenly "No Signal". 

Sometimes it will happen when the TV first gets turned on, sometimes it will happen if it has been watched, turned off then (as little as 30 seconds) turned on again. 

Seems to be no consistancy in this behavior.

To answer the questions above:

If you are saying your TV is reporting no signal, one possibility is it is on the wrong input. Another is the HDMI is not compatible.

What is the model of the TV & how is it connected to the STB? -- Samsung UN46 serieis LED

Does your problem occur on turn-on or while watching? Yes. See above

How is the STB fed - Wireless, COAX or cat5? Not STB, but the DVR, COAX. And - the two STBs never have this problem

Does this happen on all your TVs or just one?  Just the one connected to the DVR. 

-----

sometimes, just turning the TV off again, waiting 5 minutes then turning it on resolves the issue.

However other times (this is the more frequent resolution) the DVR must be completely recycled.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

"No Signal" is a message generated by the TV saying that there is nothing it recognizes as a picture on the selected input.

This might mean that the TV has the wrong input selected, or it may mean that the device that is supposed to be sending a video signal isn't, or the cabling system between them is bad.

You skipped the question of how the TV is connected to the DVR.  HDMI, Component, Composite?  Is it connected directly, or through a switch or some sort of Home Theater receiver?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Getting no signal on one tv. Other 2 are working fine.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Only 1. Other 2 work fine

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

10 years ago

I have a Samsung TV that did the same thing.  I called Samsung and they are aware about the problem.  It should have been fixed so if you have not updated the TV in the last 3 months do so.  The work around they gave and it works perfectly is to turn on the cable box first wait about 10 seconds to give the box time to send the signal then turn on the tv.  The problem they explained is that when you turn on the tv and it can not find the signal it reports no signal instead of finding the signal when you turn on the box.  I have gotten in the habit of turning the box on first.  Hope this helps. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.