Paragon's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 3:13 AM

New U-verser with Network Topology Question Concerning Cisco Wireless Receiver Placement

Just got my system set up this weekend and I have the following configuration:

i3812V Modem + TV STB + Cisco WAP Receiver

The current setup I have that is working is a Netgear DSL+router connected to the i3812v via ethernet and they are both located at the back end of the house. I have the DSL disabled on the Netgear Modem+Router, and the wireless disabled on the i3812v. I have another Netgear N300 in the middle of the house bridged to the Netgear in the back of the house. All our laptops and other wifi devices connect to that N300.

My question is whether the Cisco Wireless AP has to be LAN'd to the i3812V or can it also be LAN'd to the N300 in the center of the house. This would give us maximum options of which room to use the wireless tv STB for 2nd viewing options. If so, do I have to change any of the Firewall settings in the i3812V GUI to all the Cisco to talk to the i3812V through the Netgear router I want to LAN it to?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

As far as I know, the Cisco WAP for the wireless STBs must be directly connected to the i3812V. If you connect it to your N300, the resulting multicast traffic will be all over your network, including your wireless access points, and will cause big problems.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for giving information

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I was afraid that might be the answer. I had tried once, but kept losing tv signal after about 30 seconds to the wifi receiver connected one. I had thought it might be interference caused by the N300 due to proximity to the WAP, but I wasn't sure.

Please let me know if anyone find out anything different.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.