For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
DPQ007's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, August 25th, 2019 7:53 PM

Need to hook up my father's DVD/VCR ... his U-Verse receiver does not have any inputs

and his lame VIZIO TV does not have an "S-video" input either.

Are there ANY U-Verse compatible receivers out there with an "S-video" input?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

If not then I will have to find a combo unit with HDMI output, or get complicated with a receiver in the middle, or ... get a TV with better input selection.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

You need to hook up additional video/audio devices directly to your tv?  Hard to believe the dvd/vcr only has s-video output and doesn't have either hdmi, component, or composite outputs (component/composite use RCA connectors)?   Similarly does the tv have those kind of inputs?  If so use whatever is convenient (composite being the last choice) to connect the dvd/vhs player to the tv.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Evidently only DVD/VCR Combos that 'record' are able to send both DVD and VHS signals thru HDMI.

I have one of these combo units on order but in the meantime ....

The fact is my combo player only send the VHS signal out thru S-video and neither the lame receiver box from ATT nor the lame TV from Vizio have a single S-video Input.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

A player with only s-video out?Man Surprised  Weird.  At any rate then look for a s-video-x-converter.  For example google s-video-to-hdmi converter.  Or s-video to component converter.  If you choose one of those it still needs to connect to the tv.  Uverse dvr/receivers are output only devices so calling them "lame" for the use you want makes no sense.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Lame in the sense that I was on the phone / chat with ATT for two hours and they still have not answered that simple question.

So difficult to anticipate that some of their subs will be using combos with lame tvs ?

Can't ask Scientific Atlanta to make just one model with some inputs ?

The combo player only outputs the VHS signal thru S-vid and the typical RCA three wire video.

Dad's combo player does have composite outs, but only for the DVD.

Dad's TV does not have these inputs, only composite and HDMI.

In any case the s-video to component converter is a logical idea that I had not thought of.

Looks like an S-vid to HDMI box is also available.  Did not think that was possible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-AV-S-Video-to-HDMI-Converter-RCA-Composite-video-Adapter-1080P-Micro-Cable/333278185878?hash=item4d98ed8996%3Ag%3AEsYAAOSwmftdO8Jk%3Asc%3AShippingMethodOvernight%2133312%21US%211&LH_GD=1

Thanks !

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.